If we give up a draft pick for Kendrys Morales I will hammer a railroad spike through my head

SrMeowMeow

This is another good post. Morales is projected for like 1.5 WAR by Fangraphs because he's just a DH, and it's not hard to find replacement level players who can put up a 750ish OPS. Platoon two of those guys and suddenly you're getting 95% of Kendrys Morales for twice league minimum.

Having two guys to platoon doesn't work well with todays at most 4 man benches. With one guy reserved for catcher and one for utility infielder and you need a guy who can back up center field. A guy who can be penciled every day is worth more than two guys who can't field and only can face certain pitchers. And our DH's were horrible last year.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having two guys to platoon doesn't work well with todays at most 4 man benches. With one guy reserved for catcher and one for utility infielder and you need a guy who can back up center field. A guy who can be penciled every day is worth more than two guys who can't field and only can face certain pitchers. And our DH's were horrible last year.

Yes, but how much more? 3 years, 30 million, and our first rounder more? For one 25-man roster spot? I don't think so.

Yes, but how much more? 3 years, 30 million, and our first rounder more? For one 25-man roster spot? I don't think so.

Yeah they are worth a ton more. You can't have a 9 man bench. So obviously a guy who can play everyday is worth exponentially more than a platoon guy. A right handed batting platoon DH's value is very little. In fact some would say no value. You don't like Morales and we won't pay for him. So you don't have to worry.

Yeah they are worth a ton more. You can't have a 9 man bench. So obviously a guy who can play everyday is worth exponentially more than a platoon guy. A right handed batting platoon DH's value is very little. In fact some would say no value. You don't like Morales and we won't pay for him. So you don't have to worry.

Well, seeing as you offer no evidence for any of the first five ridiculously hyperbolic sentences of that post, I will, in fact, not worry. :D

We've already given up our supplemental 1st round pick for the mighty Bud Norris. We aren't building a farm system without high draft picks and we aren't going far for very long without a good system. Morales isn't all that good. Morales and AJ Burnett are not likely enough to get us a division.

It's just the wrong move for a team in our position.

Norris could work out for the Orioles; he's not a bum, but not that good either. Since he's got 3 more years of team control we'll see if he ends up worth that supplemental pick.

With Morales and Burnett, plus any answer at closer even if it's in house, the Orioles are very much in position to compete for the postseason IMO. Especially if the Rays trade Price.

This is another good post. Morales is projected for like 1.5 WAR by Fangraphs because he's just a DH, and it's not hard to find replacement level players who can put up a 750ish OPS. Platoon two of those guys and suddenly you're getting 95% of Kendrys Morales for twice league minimum.

The Orioles tried this plan the last couple of years and it clearly didn't work out.

Bleacher Report put out their mock draft and have the O's picking HS pitcher Brady Aiken. A LHP that they say already has a plus fastball and an above average curve. I'd be more willing to keep that pick and use the money on Burnett or Arroyo.

Our DHs were terrible last year, but collectively they actually ranked right in the middle of the AL in OPS at .704. The 7 teams that were worse included two playoff teams, Tampa Bay and Oakland. The Yankees were the absolute worst at .583.

Among last season's regulars, only Markakis (.685) put up an OPS worse than our DHs, Roberts and Wieters both tied them with exactly .704. Among non-regulars who are still with the club, Steve Pearce had the best season offensively, posting a combined OPS of .782, with a .749 against RHP and .802 against LHP. Unfortunately, he didn't know what to do with himself in the DH role and hurt his wrists taking too many practice swings. His OPS as DH was only .664.

The versatility of Lough and Flaherty, combined with the fact that Buck doesn't use his bench, means the O's could get away with a bench that looks like this:

Catcher

Infielder

Platoon DH

Rule 5 Guy

I kind of hope they don't go big on a DH, because a healthy Reimold (it could happen) should be better than any of those available.

I guess there's some upside there. Rather just stick Markakis at DH. His projections are very similar to Morales (maybe +15 OBP, -30 SLG), and I'm tired of seeing him in the field. Find a cheap RP somewhere, sign Burnett, give Stephen Drew eight figures and stick him at 2B. Then figure out one more outfielder. I don't know, anything. Make a trade. Flash a little bit of creativity, Duquette!

Sounds like you want double D to make a trade just to make a trade. IMO

.... The value of the pick is overrated, IMO....

Depends on how you use it.

Cardinals 2012.

1/19 (from Angels): Michael Wacha

1/23: James Ramsey Baseball America 2014 Cardinals prospect rank 8th

1s/36: Stephen Piscotty Baseball America 2014 Cardinals prospect rank 4th

1s/52: Patrick Wisdom

1s/56: Steve Bean

1/86: Carson Kelly Baseball America 2014 Cardinals prospect rank 10th

Archived