If we give up a draft pick for Kendrys Morales I will hammer a railroad spike through my head

SrMeowMeow

All depends on the price, and if we acquire a Burnett, Arroyo or Garza. If it's a reasonable contract I'd do it. He's a good not great hitter who would upgrade our offense. The value of the pick is overrated, IMO. If we get the SP and the bat we need, we can be a serious contender and we need to sacrifice a little if we want to take advantage of the 2 year window, before we turn back into a pumpkin.

Value of the pick is overrated? Maybe. But tough to cry poor re: having prospects to trade when you don't value bringing prospects into your system...

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Value of the pick is overrated? Maybe. But tough to cry poor re: having prospects to trade when you don't value bringing prospects into your system...

There is almost no relationship between the quality of an organization's minor league system and where they pick in the first round. Many of the organizations with the best minor league systems routinely perform well at the ML level and have low level first round picks and they sign free agents that cost picks. Unfortunately, first round picks are probably way more important to the O's because they are so much worse than the best organizations at basically all things associated with drafting and development. Without first round picks the O's would have developed almost no ML players. That's definitely not true of the better organizations. Anyway, if the O's really had their ML act together, then losing a first round pick would not be a big deal. It certainly has not hurt the better organizations.

There is almost no relationship between the quality of an organization's minor league system and where they pick in the first round. Many of the organizations with the best minor league systems routinely perform well at the ML level and have low level first round picks and they sign free agents that cost picks. Unfortunately, first round picks are probably way more important to the O's because they are so much worse than the best organizations at basically all things associated with drafting and development. Without first round picks the O's would have developed almost no ML players. That's definitely not true of the better organizations. Anyway, if the O's really had their ML act together, then losing a first round pick would not be a big deal. It certainly has not hurt the better organizations.

Excuse me, I meant "minor league act" and not "ML act".

Perhaps, if your comparing it to the open market. However, the O's don't play there so we will see if that is reasonable territory for DD.

If he pitches to league average, he would be of value to any team at that money. So if you think the Orioles are too poor, he could be traded for a prospect that is within a year of being MLB ready. Not a guy in A ball.

If he pitches to league average, he would be of value to any team at that money. So if you think the Orioles are too poor, he could be traded for a prospect that is within a year of being MLB ready. Not a guy in A ball.

We'll see. He needs to up his performance in an O's uniform. I don't think DD and Buck were looking for a near 5 ERA when they picked him up. At this point he looks like Phil Hughes to me. Those guys might get paid on the open market but they don't get paid by the O's. Sounds like salary dump territory or underwhelming return to me.

I think this is an oversimplification that misses a lot of points on a lot of levels. Attention paid to international acquisitions in latin america is the big one, but there's also the idea of understanding and operating within the parameters of the compensation system, and the overall import of developing talent or trading talent as opposed to solving MLB holes via free agency.

Additionally, while it's true there is talent to be found and developed outside of the top 60 or so picks, it comes with a lot riskier profile, and usually with a much lower ceiling.

Our DHs were terrible last year, but collectively they actually ranked right in the middle of the AL in OPS at .704. The 7 teams that were worse included two playoff teams, Tampa Bay and Oakland. The Yankees were the absolute worst at .583.

Among last season's regulars, only Markakis (.685) put up an OPS worse than our DHs, Roberts and Wieters both tied them with exactly .704. Among non-regulars who are still with the club, Steve Pearce had the best season offensively, posting a combined OPS of .782, with a .749 against RHP and .802 against LHP. Unfortunately, he didn't know what to do with himself in the DH role and hurt his wrists taking too many practice swings. His OPS as DH was only .664.

The versatility of Lough and Flaherty, combined with the fact that Buck doesn't use his bench, means the O's could get away with a bench that looks like this:

Catcher

Infielder

Platoon DH

Rule 5 Guy

I kind of hope they don't go big on a DH, because a healthy Reimold (it could happen) should be better than any of those available.

Ugh, no thanks. First off, the "Rule 5 guy" should be nowhere near this team. Second, there is no back up outfielder on this team, unless the platoon DH can play outfield. I would rather get a full time DH, such as a Smoak, Davis, or Morales. My bench would then be:

Reimold/Pearce (when Reimold gets hurt)

DeJesus/Weeks

Catcher

Borbon/Peguero

Ugh, no thanks. First off, the "Rule 5 guy" should be nowhere near this team. Second, there is no back up outfielder on this team, unless the platoon DH can play outfield. I would rather get a full time DH, such as a Smoak, Davis, or Morales. My bench would then be:

Reimold/Pearce (when Reimold gets hurt)

DeJesus/Weeks

Catcher

Borbon/Peguero

Chances are that "Rule Five Guy" can hit as well as most team's 20th player.

.... Wacha looks great so far.

Pujols departing to the Angels is a present to Cardinals fans which has become a "gift that keeps on giving".

The Cardinals turned the Pujols compensation picks into last year's NLCS MVP and an outfielder who hit .299 at AA last season.

I gave their first 6 picks to illustrate the value of having more high picks. In this case, the 36th pick has been worth more than the 23rd pick, SO FAR. That's why I'm glad they signed Peralta instead of Drew.

Archived