Crawford Talks

camdenyards8

Ray won't hurt us as long as the O's win their majority of games vs. Tampa. A closer can't hurt you if the you have the lead in the 9th. Crawford would contribute to more Oriole wins then Ray would, both offensively and defensively. Hoey could be the next Ray with time. Baez can close for the time being.

Tom Davis on the Morning Baltimore Sports Report on ESPN 1300 mentioned he heard this rumor the other day but that the O's denied. Who menioned this rumor you heard? Maybe the Devil Rays just really like Chris Ray that much (he is from Tampa Bay area right - I thought someone mentioned this before.)? It's possible the O's don't want to admit the talks yet. I also don't understand what value at all Fiorentino has for them (unless we offered him and the Rays don't really want him) since the Rays already have a ton of outfield prospects - all better than Fiorentino.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now don't get me wrong Chris Ray is a great closer and is entering his 2nd full time season as closer and is still YOUNG, but Carl Crawford can man the LF position well.. i cannot count how many times he robbed homeruns in LF in Camden Yards.

He also is improving in hitting i can see 20-30 homeruns this year with 80-100 RBI. Lets also mention his SPEED. This guy can absolutely fly. With CPat in center and Crawford in left field we could have the best defensive outfield.

If there is any truth to this rumor we should be all over this..

Tom Davis on the Morning Baltimore Sports Report on ESPN 1300 mentioned he heard this rumor the other day but that the O's denied. Who menioned this rumor you heard? Maybe the Devil Rays just really like Chris Ray that much (he is from Tampa Bay area right - I thought someone mentioned this before.)? It's possible the O's don't want to admit the talks yet. I also don't understand what value at all Fiorentino has for them (unless we offered him and the Rays don't really want him) since the Rays already have a ton of outfield prospects - all better than Fiorentino.

Ray is from Tampa, and it would make sense why they want him. Their closer would be Seth McClung this year supposedly so Ray strengthens their pen quite a bit. As for Fio, maybe another team who doesn't want to deal with the O's likes him and wants him in another deal, or maybe the Rays are trading both Baldelli and Crawford this offseason...

As much as I like Ray right now I think that strong closers are a great asset to trade and fiorintino and Gibbons are both expendable right now. I would love to see something like this happen, even as hard as giving Ray up would be I think it would really shore up the outfield. And if the FO got on the FA jump next year and added one of the top 3 CF I think you would have to consider a 2009 orioles OF that may be the best in the league.

I'd be shocked if Tampa couldn't get more than that for Crawford. I mean the Dodgers just lost Drew and have a farm system that's absolutely loaded. The Angels are out looking for a bat as well with their well-stocked system. That's two teams who can easily put together a better package than Gibbons, Fiorentino and Ray just off the top of my head.

I'd be shocked if Tampa couldn't get more than that for Crawford. I mean the Dodgers just lost Drew and have a farm system that's absolutely loaded. The Angels are out looking for a bat as well with their well-stocked system. That's two teams who can easily put together a better package than Gibbons, Fiorentino and Ray just off the top of my head.

And this is probably why the rumor is still just a rumor after a few days of being mentioned. I agree the Rays have got to be getting plenty of really good offers (or if not already, they will be at the Winter Meetings) that will top Ray, Gibbons & Fiorentino. But maybe (hopefully) that's just the O's initial offer that they realize will need be upgraded to have any shot of landing Crawford. The O's maybe will be willing to offer something more like Ray, Penn and Liz if absolutely necessary but don't want to offer it yet so they don't give up more than they have to.

I'm not really big on the idea of Danys Boy closing...

Well if couldn't do it then there is always Hoey, Williamson, Liz etc. We have plenty of options for closer. Hoey would be my bet as he was a closer last year for Bowie, Frederick and Delmarva.

I'm not really big on the idea of Danys Boy closing...

The good thing is that we'd have other potential options (potential being key) - Scott Williamson (depending on how he does in Spring Training) or possibly James Hoey (if not right at the beginning of the year then by July perhaps). I think Arthur Rhodes was NOT offered arbitration by the Phillies so we could sign him if we really wanted another option.

Didn't Duke just come out and say Ray wasn't being traded? You're not getting Crawford without giving up one of the big 3 plus someone else.

I hope they don't jump the gun on Huff for 1st like they did Millar.

I don't think they've flat out guarantedd Ray wouldn't be traded and even if they did it's just to drive up his value or save the awkwardness should we try to trade him but are unsuccessful.

I would think Loewen and Ray would be hard for TB to walk away from. Do you do that deal? I would if Crawford's wrist is 100%. I do not think Gibbons or Fio would do much for them. Loewen and Ray are legit MLB pitchers that will remain relatively cheap for quite awhile. This would be a tough deal to make for us, but Crawford is young, immensly talented, comes with no baggage, and is still improving! Make the offer.

I would think Loewen and Ray would be hard for TB to walk away from. Do you do that deal? I would if Crawford's wrist is 100%. I do not think Gibbons or Fio would do much for them. Loewen and Ray are legit MLB pitchers that will remain relatively cheap for quite awhile. This would be a tough deal to make for us, but Crawford is young, immensly talented, comes with no baggage, and is still improving! Make the offer.

I wouldn't give up Loewen. Or Erbe. I might consider any other prospect combined with Ray outside of those two (not considering Beato or Rowell since they're not eligible to be traded yet).

Archived