vs. RED SOX, 4/19

OFFNY

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can a HR be in front of the Ump unless he's in the stands? The question was if you can't challenge a play that is in front of the Umpire in regards to fair/foul over the base, can you not challenge a HR that is fair/foul. HR's are never in front of the Umps, they are way behind them.

You can challenge a home run fair/foul. In fact they have been using replay reviews for that long before this season.

They said that you can never challenge fair/foul balls over the bag due to the play being in front of the Umpire. I don't know if they made it up, but they said that can never be challenged.
So you can't challenge a home run that is called foul then i.e. the McLouth one in the 2012 ALDS?
Well, unless an Umpire is in the stands, the play can never be in front of him. It'll always be behind him.
If he is standing behind 3rd base, facing home plate, and the call revolves around where the ball was when it went over/past 3rd, then I think the play is in front of him.

Even though he isn't in the stands.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to say.

Maybe this will clear it up a little bit. This is the conversation. My post in this thread was pertaining to being able to challenge HR calls, I know that they can, I was trying to illuminate the difference between fair/foul over the bag and the HR fair/foul calls.

Archived