Shorebird's Mike Yastrzemski is a Complete Player

DrShorebird

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Esposito could be the best story since Lazarus.

Yea he is starting to hit a good bit lately. His OPS is approaching .700

Been on a tear the past 10 games with like 5 HR and an OPS above 1.000

Not ready to say he is a legit top 10 system prospect but he is at least making people take notice and giving us reason to keep an eye on him. Glad to see that.

Yaz still rolling at AA - .895 OPS in 63 ABs at AA matches his .895 OPS for the year in over 400 ABs. His college buddy Espisito is pissed he hasn't gotten a promotion - last ten games he is .350/.400/.730/1.130 with 5 HR and 8 RBI.

I know Yaz does not scout out all that highly but every now and then there is that guy who just defies explanation and becomes a very productive player. Not a star or anything but a productive player who just grinds it out and gets the most out their skills. I kinda feel like Yaz fits that mold.

I know Yaz does not scout out all that highly but every now and then there is that guy who just defies explanation and becomes a very productive player. Not a star or anything but a productive player who just grinds it out and gets the most out their skills. I kinda feel like Yaz fits that mold.

Martin Prado was like that with the Braves. He wasn't highly regarded, but the Braves were short of infielders, and he just kept playing well and earned more and more playing time. Now, he's making over 10 mil a year and has played in a MLB All-Star game.

Like to rep you but cannot :(

It definitely does happen and with a lot worse odds than Yaz who was the 429 pick in 2013 . Jeff Conine, pick number 1236, Mike Piazza pick 1390, Orlando Hudson pick 1280, Marcus Giles pick 1512 and many others have all defied scouting expectations. Heart can't be quantified.

It definitely does happen and with a lot worse odds than Yaz who was the 429 pick in 2013 . Jeff Conine, pick number 1236, Mike Piazza pick 1390, Orlando Hudson pick 1280, Marcus Giles pick 1512 and many others have all defied scouting expectations. Heart can't be quantified.

And gene pool too.

I still haven't written off Urrutia. Great numbers at Bowie. Good, not great in Norfolk. Strong AFL numbers in the Fall. Terrible season so far but not sure how much can be excused on the injury? Obviously, Alvarez and Yaz are more complete players. All of Urrutia's value is in his bat so he has to be exceptional in that one area.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Henry Urrutia has consecutive three-hit games and has hit .364 (8-22) in five games since returning from the disabled list on July 27.</p>— Tides Notes (@TidesNotes) <a href="

">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If there's one thing Yastrzemski has in spades, it's heart. He should get a cup of coffee and I could see him taking David Lough's spot. Still, let's not get carried away. He's maybe a little better than David Lough.

• 3 weeks later...

While Wright was dazzling, I got to see the Baysox live last night where we carried a perfecto into the 6th inning. Yaz didn't disappoint - had two extra base hits, a HR and a 2B, both of which were hit the other way.

He'll have to keep proving it as a college senior draftee, but he's doing what he can. Figure he's back at Bowie to start next year

Archived