Shorebird's Mike Yastrzemski is a Complete Player

DrShorebird

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It still puzzles me why the Sox didn't draft him since he went so late. Maybe Yaz senior thought maybe the name and playing in the Sox system would put added pressure on him? He sure is doing fine whatever the case.

They did draft him in 2009 and wasn't able to sign him.

Seattle also drafted in 2012 and did not sign him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One step closer to playing aside Adam Jones:Orioles send Mike Yastrzemski to AA</p>? Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="
">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is exciting, but is it purely tongue-in-cheek? Been trying to find a bottom line on this guy, and consensus seems basically "unsure" whether he's a real player still. Name aside, I want to know if this guy is gonna be able to help the big club one day!

This is exciting, but is it purely tongue-in-cheek? Been trying to find a bottom line on this guy, and consensus seems basically "unsure" whether he's a real player still. Name aside, I want to know if this guy is gonna be able to help the big club one day!

If he *is* a prospect, AA is probably where he should be given his age and college experience (minimum) - so I suppose we'll find out more about his future at this level.

Found this scouting report on Yaz, granted it was from Feb, so it doesn't take into consideration anything he has done this season to improve his skillset.

http://orioles-nation.com/2014/02/06/prospect-watch-mike-yastrzemski/

Pretty good writeup. Thanks for posting.

The author's prognostication has come through with Yaz making it to Bowie this season.

Its' Gammons so who knows.

If he *is* a prospect, AA is probably where he should be given his age and college experience (minimum) - so I suppose we'll find out more about his future at this level.

It's crazy to me how many non-prospects are in MLB organizations. Why do you have to have 100+ players in your system if you can probably get away with maybe 75 or so? Seems like a lot of operating costs associated with 4 or 5 affiliates. But I guess the deeper the talent pool, the more likely you are to find talent. But aside from a deep talent pool, I think most organizations would concede that probably 50% of their minor league players are not going anywhere. Maybe more.

Found this scouting report on Yaz, granted it was from Feb, so it doesn't take into consideration anything he has done this season to improve his skillset.

http://orioles-nation.com/2014/02/06/prospect-watch-mike-yastrzemski/

Tucker knows his stuff. He's dead-on on Yaz here.

He could help the big club, but don't expect him to be much more than a AAAA player. The power won't play at a corner in the bigs, and he doesn't have the speed/defense to make up for it. The Angle comp is off base for that reason: Angle had great speed and could play a mean CF. I don't think Yaz can play a big-league CF. David Lough feels like a decent comp.

It's crazy to me how many non-prospects are in MLB organizations. Why do you have to have 100+ players in your system if you can probably get away with maybe 75 or so? Seems like a lot of operating costs associated with 4 or 5 affiliates. But I guess the deeper the talent pool, the more likely you are to find talent. But aside from a deep talent pool, I think most organizations would concede that probably 50% of their minor league players are not going anywhere. Maybe more.

The prospects need good players to play against (and with) if they're going to actually develop. A 25-year-old at AA is probably never going to make a major league roster, but he's there to provide solid competition for the 21-year-old he's facing and to show the 21-year-old on his team the ropes. Organizational players serve a valuable purpose to the game.

Brian Graham likes him...

"He's very similar to Nate McLouth. That would be the player comparison I'd use," Graham said. "He can play center field and is good in left field and right field, and any time you quantify a guy as having the ability to play center field at the big league level, he's a good outfielder. That's how we do it. He has the ability to play center field at the big league level and he's also very good in left and right."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/07/graham-on-yaz-what-you-see-with-him-is-a-very-complete-baseball-player.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• 2 weeks later...
I still haven't written off Urrutia. Great numbers at Bowie. Good, not great in Norfolk. Strong AFL numbers in the Fall. Terrible season so far but not sure how much can be excused on the injury? Obviously, Alvarez and Yaz are more complete players. All of Urrutia's value is in his bat so he has to be exceptional in that one area.

His total lack of power at the MLB level took him off my radar.

Archived