Some observations about Brian Matusz

Frobby

It seems to me that Buck has been a bit more flexible in the way he has used Brian Matusz this year. Last season, he faced LHB 54% of the time, and it seemed like Buck frequently would yank him the minute a RHB came to bat. This year, Matusz has faced LHB only 45% of the time, and I can think of several times that Buck has brought him in even when the upcoming batters were predominantly right-handed.

As noted last night, Matusz has stranded 16 of the 17 runners he inherited this year. While that is a very good accomplishment, I think that's one of those stats that sounds a bit more impressive than it is. Matusz has come into games where he inherited runners 10 times. In six of those, he only needed to get one out to end the inning, and he succeeded 5 of 6 times. That accounts for 12 of the baserunners. In another game, he came in with a runner on 2B and one out, got the batter and was removed. So, he only was asked to get two outs with runners on in three games.

Although Matusz did allow an inherited runner to score on May 7, he has appeared in 13 straight games dating back to April 26 without allowing a run himself, and has stranded 8 of 9 in that stretch.

Overall, I can't say that Matusz has been dominant, but he has gotten the job done.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not see the game last night, but was there a good reason Buck took him out after facing 1 batter in the 8th? Hate to second guess, but Britton had worked the night before. Unless there is some compelling reason, I don't understand not keeping Matusz in the game.

I did not see the game last night, but was there a good reason Buck took him out after facing 1 batter in the 8th? Hate to second guess, but Britton had worked the night before. Unless there is some compelling reason, I don't understand not keeping Matusz in the game.

They pinch hit for him in the top of the 9th.

They pinch hit for him in the top of the 9th.

If that's the main reason, then Matusz cd have stayed in the game if he only knew how to lay down a bunt, because that's what the pinchhitter (Bud Norris) did, skillfully.

• 3 weeks later...
Somebody better tell Buck.

Jerry Freaking Sands just took us deep!

Buck looks at the numbers. I'm not sure what his deal is.

So does Brian still publicly express his desire to be a starter? I'm not sure how he thinks this is possible.

True enough. I miss Jesse Orosco.

The problem with Matusz now is that many teams are using a lot of platoons nowadays so when he comes in to face a lefty teams just pinch hit. He is great in situations when they won't pinch hit like for Ortiz.

Archived