Please, don't use ad blocking on this site

Tony-OH

Guest rochester

On a rare occasion I will get a "blocked Malware" note from my Avast security program. This is not from the OH itself and, frankly, do not know what ad it could be. The ads don't bother me as the layout of the page make them non-intrusive to me. Even if they were I would most likely not turn them off as I understand this is a small business that provides a great service. Tony, can I assume that click-throughs pay more?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get audio auto-playing regularly although I haven't detected any pattern as to when the ads decide to show up. It's been this way for a month or so.

Edit: Some company called 'Viewster" is residing in the second block from the top on the right side of the page on my browser (Safari). They have video content that auto starts. I turned Viewster off in the Flash Player settings and that seemed to stop the audio, but not the video. Updating my Flash Player settings to block Viewster hard locked not only my browser, but my Mac forcing a manual restart. Nasty, invasive stuff.

Anyone getting auto-audio ads at the moment?

Today there have been a few - haircare mostly and "I don't want Fop, damnit, I'M A DAPPER DAN MAN!"

I've been getting them for the past few days. Two dopey women talking about their hair, nails, Jenifer Aniston's latest makeover etc. Who on a baseball message board would have any commercial interest in that?

I'm having several problems:

- the occasional pop-up ad with audio and no way to shut it off

- simultaneous video ads which causes page scrolling to get "jumpy" or to momentarily freeze

- I currently have NINE freaking ads on my screen. Not good for someone who HATES internet advertising!!

Sorry, but activating an ad blocker sounds like THE solution to me.

I'm having several problems:

- the occasional pop-up ad with audio and no way to shut it off

- simultaneous video ads which causes page scrolling to get "jumpy" or to momentarily freeze

- I currently have NINE freaking ads on my screen. Not good for someone who HATES internet advertising!!

Sorry, but activating an ad blocker sounds like THE solution to me.

Or, a "PayPal $xx to this email address and I'll disable ads for you for a year" subscription.

I'd be first in line. Even if this isn't covered by the Plus membership.

Exemplar site which does this perfectly and is also a (very) small business: http://phoronix.com

At first the ads seem awful and you want to adblock it. Then you realize the content is good. Then you sign up. Then your adblock doesn't even have to fight to keep the ads off the page. They're GONE! :D

Never blocked them ...never will....Prefer to pay for the plus membership. It's money well spent!

Even a plus membership doesn't make you immune. If you're watching the game on mlb.tv and following the game thread like I like to do, the audio pop-ups become a real problem after a while and you switch to an ad-blocked environment. I don't mind the video, it's the audio that's the real problem. Globally turning down the audio also kills the play-by-play.

FWIW, I would pay extra for ad-blocked tier on the OH.

Even a plus membership doesn't make you immune. If you're watching the game on mlb.tv and following the game thread like I like to do, the audio pop-ups become a real problem after a while and you switch to an ad-blocked environment. I don't mind the video, it's the audio that's the real problem. Globally turning down the audio also kills the play-by-play.

FWIW, I would pay extra for ad-blocked tier on the OH.

You couldn't pay enough to make a difference. Advertisers are big companies with deep pockets. The per person membership would be oppressive ...sorry to say.

You couldn't pay enough to make a difference. Advertisers are big companies with deep pockets. The per person membership would be oppressive ...sorry to say.

Many of these advertisers are big companies who are far too heavily populated by people who still believe 20th century paradigms. I believe that because they've been putting food on my table since the 1970's and they're like my relatives at this point.

Paying for privacy is the new cool thing and worth every penny if you don't expect to be fully immune from the government. Expecting to be free from unwanted nail salon ads is completely reasonable at a nominal cost. Let the majority of viewers/poster who don't pay the premium bear the burden of generating the page views/clicks.

I believe this approach will work because I still get the occasional PM from a disgruntled 3,000-post eight-grader informing me in no uncertain terms that they would never pay to post on a board that tolerated ***holes like me.

Clearly they're dumb enough to click on that crap all day long.

I installed the Dot Not Disturb extension for Chrome. It does not block ads, but it does do its best to block audio that turns on automatically along with other things it consider 'annoying'.

So far it is doing a pretty good job. Again, this does not block the ads so your not killing Tony's revenue stream.

If you not using Chrome...well you deserve what you get ;)

I've been getting them for the past few days. Two dopey women talking about their hair, nails, Jenifer Aniston's latest makeover etc. Who on a baseball message board would have any commercial interest in that?

I think I found it, it just starting blaring at me (apparently Do Not Disturb extension failed).

Its the AdChoice frame on the bottom right. There is a flash based video that came on and mouseover shows an embed options with this:

<iframe width="500" height="315" frameborder="0" src="http://www.popsugar.com/psvn/embed?video=35080786&width=500&height=315" allowfullscreen class="psvn-embed"></iframe>

popsugar.com, that might be what you need to block from AdChoice.

Archived