Please, don't use ad blocking on this site

Tony-OH

I have disabled ABP for this site.

Note, reading this thread, I saw lots of concerns and comments about malware.

As most may know, anti-virus and personal firewall protection, will not catch most malware.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

There is a free version of malware and it works very well in protecting your PC. If you are going to be on the internet, you need this.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man these ads are reaching the limit for me. It takes so long to load up a page! My (what I call meaningful) life is drawing to a close and I really don't have the time to wait - can we do a PlusPlus membership where we pay more but have no ads? :cussing:

Last night I was getting browser re-directs during the game thread. A new browser window would pop open and tell me that I needed to update my media player and to click here. I immediately shut down the browser, ran a malware scan, then enabled adblock and it didn't happen again. This happened to others last night in the game thread as well.

Last night I was getting browser re-directs during the game thread. A new browser window would pop open and tell me that I needed to update my media player and to click here. I immediately shut down the browser, ran a malware scan, then enabled adblock and it didn't happen again. This happened to others last night in the game thread as well.

I really freaked out the first time that happened here. Now, it's at least once a day. The auto-plays cause me to x out the site, because I usually have music on which makes the audio is doubly annoying. The thing about the auto-plays is that there are so many ads you have to search for the one that's talking at you. Sometimes I just turn off my speakers for a few minutes.

I really freaked out the first time that happened here. Now, it's at least once a day. The auto-plays cause me to x out the site, because I usually have music on which makes the audio is doubly annoying. The thing about the auto-plays is that there are so many ads you have to search for the one that's talking at you. Sometimes I just turn off my speakers for a few minutes.

When I'm home and generally surfing the board I'll use a non-ad blocking browser, but there have been a lot of auto play ads in game threads lately. When they start in I put up the block.

Thanks for the effort.

No problem. Trust me, I appreciate the people reporting the ads and we are on this. I hate and I mean hate these kinds of ads as well. They pay well but they hurt the experience and I never want to hurt the experience. It's not worth it to me regardless of the payoff.

Tony, I find this fascinating because you have a number of people that are connected to you and personally rooting for you to be as successful as possible. So much so that more of the aggravating ads would be tolerated here than elsewhere. But this is also a good lesson for all of us. When we visit sites we trust, that does not mean that every thing that pops up from that site is trustworthy. Is that one of the takeaways I am getting here? If so that is pretty huge. Well at least for me.

As noted above by mdbdotcom, thanks for the continuing effort to keep this one of the best places on the internets! ;)

Tony, I find this fascinating because you have a number of people that are connected to you and personally rooting for you to be as successful as possible. So much so that more of the aggravating ads would be tolerated here than elsewhere. But this is also a good lesson for all of us. When we visit sites we trust, that does not mean that every thing that pops up from that site is trustworthy. Is that one of the takeaways I am getting here? If so that is pretty huge. Well at least for me.

As noted above by mdbdotcom, thanks for the continuing effort to keep this one of the best places on the internets! ;)

I feel the ads was serve are "trustworthy" but they are getting out of control with the audio ads that won't turn off or automatically start. I've sent all of my networks the same e-mail telling them if they come up again, I'm getting rid of their ad networks. I honestly think they are struggling with this as well. Somebody is selling this crap and the networks are struggling to keep track of the new ad campaigns that feature them. Either way, I'm as fed up as you guys, maybe more so. We need the ads, but I'm not going to have intrusive ads on this site and if I have to pare them back I will regardless of the financial implications.

I feel the ads was serve are "trustworthy" but they are getting out of control with the audio ads that won't turn off or automatically start. I've sent all of my networks the same e-mail telling them if they come up again, I'm getting rid of their ad networks. I honestly think they are struggling with this as well. Somebody is selling this crap and the networks are struggling to keep track of the new ad campaigns that feature them. Either way, I'm as fed up as you guys, maybe more so. We need the ads, but I'm not going to have intrusive ads on this site and if I have to pare them back I will regardless of the financial implications.

Can you or Weams (or me, if you guys would prefer) start a poll asking how many people would kick in $XX per year to help you out, in return for having ads disabled on our accounts?

Seems I'm not the only one who wants that, judging from recent posts. It'd give you an idea of how much people are willing to pay.

My suggestion for the poll would be to have as many options as possible, with at least the following included:

Question: What is the most you'd be willing to pay for 1 year of visiting the OH Forums with no advertisements?

Options:

1. $10

2. $20

3. $30

4. $40

5. $50

6. $75

7. $100 or more

8. I dislike the ads, but I can't afford to pay anything

9. I dislike the ads, but I use AdBlock and have no plans to disable it or support OH with a paid subscription to disable ads

10. The ads don't bother me or I actually enjoy the ads

Can you or Weams (or me, if you guys would prefer) start a poll asking how many people would kick in $XX per year to help you out, in return for having ads disabled on our accounts?

Seems I'm not the only one who wants that, judging from recent posts. It'd give you an idea of how much people are willing to pay.

My suggestion for the poll would be to have as many options as possible, with at least the following included:

Question: What is the most you'd be willing to pay for 1 year of visiting the OH Forums with no advertisements?

Options:

1. $10

2. $20

3. $30

4. $40

5. $50

6. $75

7. $100 or more

8. I dislike the ads, but I can't afford to pay anything

9. I dislike the ads, but I use AdBlock and have no plans to disable it or support OH with a paid subscription to disable ads

10. The ads don't bother me or I actually enjoy the ads

Polls are nice until the rent is due. Payments speak louder than words.

Polls are nice until the rent is due. Payments speak louder than words.

You're suggesting that I (or someone else) would vote disingenuously?

I can understand that not everyone who visits the OH is 100% honest about everything, but would it really be that bad? With such a wide range of options, and most of the worst trolls long banned, wouldn't the most popular option at least indicate a strong preference for a particular one? I would expect that MOST people voting would put their money where their mouth is. I certainly would.

You're suggesting that I (or someone else) would vote disingenuously?

I can understand that not everyone who visits the OH is 100% honest about everything, but would it really be that bad? With such a wide range of options, and most of the worst trolls long banned, wouldn't the most popular option at least indicate a strong preference for a particular one? I would expect that MOST people voting would put their money where their mouth is. I certainly would.

It's not as easy as this. I can't just turn off ads for some people and keep them on for others. I understand your concerns. If you must use ad block, we appreciate if you are an active plus member. That helps and we appreciate the support.

IMHO the audio ads are a MINOR issue, but the ones last night pushing the malware infections have to be cleaned up by the AD guys, NO EXCUSE.

When people get infected by these ads and LOSE time, $$$, and worst valuable data the AD blockers will come out in FULL FORCE.

Nobody wins then.

Archived