Why the Nat love?

schittenden

I will never understand why people care what the sports media thinks.

Amen.

A team winning 10 straight is going to get some attention. Sports fans have narrow viewpoints and generally don't understand that people in the media aren't fans. They aren't presenting every story in relation to the results of the Orioles (or Ravens or whoever).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amen.

A team winning 10 straight is going to get some attention. Sports fans have narrow viewpoints and generally don't understand that people in the media aren't fans. They aren't presenting every story in relation to the results of the Orioles (or Ravens or whoever).

I don't expect them to be fans. I expect them to accurately report results. That requires providing insight and context.

The media coverage is certainly fawning. I realize these headlines are quoting Harper, but the tone of the coverage completely overlooks the mediocre teams they've been barely beating.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/21/nationals-nine-game-winning-streak-is-absolutely-epic/

http://deadspin.com/the-absolutely-epic-nationals-are-the-most-exciting-t-1624917731

Ehh, the first article there is a re-print from csnwashington. I'm pretty sure csnbaltimore is praising the O's. Here are some of the same quotes from the Harper interview used for that article:

Bryce Harper says a Beltway World Series Would be Epic

Ehh, the first article there is a re-print from csnwashington. I'm pretty sure csnbaltimore is praising the O's. Here are some of the same quotes from the Harper interview used for that article:

Bryce Harper says a Beltway World Series Would be Epic

Plus, if one wants a national story, a ten-game winning streak is interesting. In the National League, this run of theirs is the current top story. In the AL, our story is great but is just as much about Toronto and NY playing themselves out of contention. The AL West battle and the Royals' current run are at least equal stories.

I don't expect them to be fans. I expect them to accurately report results. That requires providing insight and context.

No, you're specifically asking for the results in the context of the Orioles because you are a fan of the Orioles.

No, you're specifically asking for the results in the context of the Orioles because you are a fan of the Orioles.

Actually, all I really want is what I said in the first paragraph. Yeah, they've win 10 in a row, but they've been barely squeaking by some pretty bad competition. That doesn't have anything to do with the Orioles.

Actually, all I really want is what I said in the first paragraph. Yeah, they've win 10 in a row, but they've been barely squeaking by some pretty bad competition. That doesn't have anything to do with the Orioles.

OK, but that's not what you wrote in the OP.

Still, you would never see that sort of thing written in a light article like that. It would come off as petty and biased. A 10-game win streak is rare enough that it doesn't get qualified unless it's a longer analysis. When a guy throws a no-hitter or hits a game-winning homer, the gist of the news story isn't going to be that the opposing team stinks.

The Nationals were predicted to be a juggernaut in the pre-season and are just now confirming those picks.

The Orioles were predicted to finish last.

There is no other answer.

Sad, but true.

I share the sentiments of the OP, but it doesn't matter in the slightest. The goal is to win the World Series and none of this matters. It's just a look into confirmation bias.

I'd trade the O's top three starting pitchers for the Nationals' top three starting pitchers in a heartbeat, no blinking.

The Nats will be dangerous in the playoffs if they can figure out how to score even a handful of runs per game. They're 19-4 in the second half when they score four or more runs, and 3-7 when they score three or fewer.

I'd trade the O's top three starting pitchers for the Nationals' top three starting pitchers in a heartbeat, no blinking.

The Nats will be dangerous in the playoffs if they can figure out how to score even a handful of runs per game. They're 19-4 in the second half when they score four or more runs, and 3-7 when they score three or fewer.

The Nats are a very good team. So are the O's. I think they are very evenly matched.

Archived