Two Year Window

weams

I think the window closes after 2015 when Davis and Wieters hit free agency. That's a big chunk of talent. This offseason we are looking at Hardy, Cruz, Miller and Markakis as possible exits. I think we retain two of those four (Markakis and Hardy) and with the Cruz money sign another impact bat. Assuming Wieters and Davis return to form, I could see next year's team slicing through the AL East. But after that, I think all bets are off. Just my two cents:cool:

If Wieters and Davis gave the team so little this season, why would the window close when they left? Their 2014 production is easily replaceable.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I've learned the last three years: value comes from a lot of unexpected sources. Gonzalez? McLouth? Joseph? Pearce?

Chris Tillman, too.

When Tillman was called back up to the Orioles again in July of 2012, I don't believe that the majority of Orioles fans (or the majority of fans of ANY team, for that matter) thought that he would be much more successful than he had been previously in the majors, between 2009 and 2011.

He's a little different than Pearce, Joseph, and Gonzalez, in that he HAD PREVIOUSLY had very high expectations as far back as 2008 when he was one of the "Four AA Boys", but nonetheless, he was (and continues to be) a very unexpected source of solid, consistent starting pitching from 2012 through the present, when not many people were expecting him to be.

I would like to see more talent coming up through the pipeline.

There is talent in the pipeline.. Schoop (rookie year), Walker, Bundy, Harvey, Sisco (could be a replacement for Wieters), Berry, Davies, Kline, Dosch, and Wilson.. all plying their trade and learning very quickly.

So it's not like O's don't have talent. We just have tonnes of pitching talent, best kind of talent for trades.

Chris Tillman, too.

When Tillman was called back up to the Orioles again in July of 2012, I don't believe that the majority of Orioles fans (or the majority of fans of ANY team, for that matter) thought that he would be much more successful than he had been previously in the majors, between 2009 and 2011.

He's a little different than Pearce, Joseph, and Gonzalez, in that he HAD PREVIOUSLY had very high expectations as far back as 2008 when he was one of the "Four AA Boys", but nonetheless, he was (and continues to be) a very unexpected source of solid, consistent starting pitching from 2012 through the present, when not many people were expecting him to be.

Tillman was always expected to be a #2 starter in a rotation and to be solid and consistent. O's rushed him. He hit his stride at the right age for a pitcher who came out of high school.

Gausman is the same way, he was a bit more complete pitcher when drafted by O's but he had a few years in college. He probably hit his full stride next year as a starter.

There is talent in the pipeline.. Schoop (rookie year), Walker, Bundy, Harvey, Sisco (could be a replacement for Wieters), Berry, Davies, Kline, Dosch, and Wilson.. all plying their trade and learning very quickly.

So it's not like O's don't have talent. We just have tonnes of pitching talent, best kind of talent for trades.

The bolded are the only ones I am counting on to fulfill more then an end of bench/bullpen role. And Sisco is still pretty far on the horizon.

Given that most GM'S in the game think in terms of windows, I think anyone saying they don't believe in them should reconsider. That is not to say that you can't develop a brand. Teams that develop an identity and brand tend to thrive for lo her as they have a clear understanding of what the pieces of the puzzle are. Certain players become more fungible and every one knows their roll.

But windows absolutely exist. That said, I think given the Winters injury and the ineffectiveness of Davis that many probably mischaracterized 5th window as being defined by the offense when in fact it is probably better defined by the orioles ability to retain their pitching or replace it where necessary.

Chris Tillman, too.

Tillman was always expected to be a #2 starter in a rotation and to be solid and consistent. O's rushed him. He hit his stride at the right age for a pitcher who came out of high school.

Gausman is the same way, he was a bit more complete pitcher when drafted by O's but he had a few years in college. He probably hit his full stride next year as a starter.

Tillman was expected to be a POSSIBLE # 2 or # 3 starter between 2008 and 2010, maybe 2011, along with a few others, such as Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton.

By 2012, almost nobody expected Tillman to be a # 2 or # 3 starter.

They had seen him go up and down between AAA and the majors several times, each time doing well at the AAA level, and not well in the majors.

What I posted was accurate in terms of the expectations of Tillman.

Tillman was expected to be a POSSIBLE # 2 or # 3 starter between 2008 and 2010, maybe 2011, along with a few others, such as Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton.

By 2012, almost nobody expected Tillman to be a # 2 or # 3 starter.

They had seen him go up and down between AAA and the majors several times, each time doing well at the AAA level, and not well in the majors.

What I posted was accurate in terms of the expectations of Tillman.

That's accurate. A lot of posters wanted to cut or trade Tillman back in 2011 and the first half of 2012.

Archived