Trade Schoop?

vab

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who else did we have in the minors this year at second? I just used Lombo as an example. Out of the guys we had Schoop may have very well been our best option. But why did he have to play virtually every day? If his bat was so bad, and he couldn't get on base, what would the reason be for not playing Flaherty there some as the season went along? Maybe even 2 days a week. I'm assuming you will all say it was because of his defense, and i get that. I just can't get over the fact that we may have a good defensive second baseman, but he only hits .209. That's simply not good enough is it?

Well, personally, I think the team would have gotten better production at second with Flaherty and a RH complement like Dejesus. That said, they needed Flaherty to cover 3rd/SS/utility and I don't think we had anybody else depthwise that could do that in my opinion.

Weeks and Lombo were never really options considering Bucks emphasis on defense and the defense Schoop was providing at second (despite not hitting) and the decision was made to develop Schoop at the ML level (meaning hes going to play regularly as a starter). Overall, I have no issues with the strategy. Again, I think the signficant issue you are overlooking is Schoop's upside/development/potential. No doubt we want better next year from him. It'll be interesting to see what moves they make to add depth a second base, but I'm not expecting anything major there.

I love Jonathan Schoop's potential. I think he will be a very solid player, maybe even an all-star, within a few years. When we were in rebuilding mode this is the kind of guy that would have been a nearly untouchable cornerstone but now, with a team this close, should Schoop be traded? Right now Flaherty and Schoop are pretty comparable so, if the Orioles could get as far as they did with Schoop's production/defense at 2B and they have another guy who can probably give similar production/defense, could Schoop help fill a hole elsewhere? Maybe to replace Miller if he can't be re-signed? Maybe for another solid contact hitter? Maybe to help replace Cruz if he leaves? Maybe for a SP? I think it's something that should be seriously considered.

Not sure they should trade him.

Well, personally, I think the team would have gotten better production at second with Flaherty and a RH complement like Dejesus. That said, they needed Flaherty to cover 3rd/SS/utility and I don't think we had anybody else depthwise that could do that in my opinion.

Weeks and Lombo were never really options considering Bucks emphasis on defense and the defense Schoop was providing at second (despite not hitting) and the decision was made to develop Schoop at the ML level (meaning hes going to play regularly as a starter). Overall, I have no issues with the strategy. Again, I think the signficant issue you are overlooking is Schoop's upside/development/potential. No doubt we want better next year from him. It'll be interesting to see what moves they make to add depth a second base, but I'm not expecting anything major there.

I get the upside of Schoop. What are you all going to say if he doesn't improve next year?

I get the upside of Schoop. What are you all going to say if he doesn't improve next year?

Well the projections for a 23 year old who hasn't shown improvement are markedly different from those of a 22 year old who struggled.

I would certainly be more open to looking at other options at that stage.

Of course since he is making the league minimum my first instinct would be to at least give him another chance in 2016. (assuming he stagnated not declined)

Well the projections for a 23 year old who hasn't shown improvement are markedly different from those of a 22 year old who struggled.

I would certainly be more open to looking at other options at that stage.

Of course since he is making the league minimum my first instinct would be to at least give him another chance in 2016. (assuming he stagnated not declined)

well here's to hoping we see the improvement of the 22 yr old struggling ML level player. It would be pretty awesome if he just came out and did a Manny Machado right?

Did you not watch the team when they were in the field?
You're going to have to elaborate on that one man...

A player's contribution counts on both sides of the ball. Schoop had an excellent postseason defensively. So it isn't like he wasn't contributing at all. He batted ninth and played great defense. The whole team didn't really hit agaisnt KC, so I'm not going to hold it against him if he didn't either.

A player's contribution counts on both sides of the ball. Schoop had an excellent postseason defensively. So it isn't like he wasn't contributing at all. He batted ninth and played great defense. The whole team didn't really hit agaisnt KC, so I'm not going to hold it against him if he didn't either.

Yes, I watched the team in the field. There is definitely a place for good fielding on the Orioles. I'm not disregarding that. Just refer to some other of my responses to see my arguments, I'm not about to state it again

Coincidental timing:

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/jonathan-schoop-power-and-impatience/

As statisticians, we should expect regression to the mean in his batted ball profile and BABIP, which could pull him up to a .250 average and .300 OBP.

250/300 before factoring in improvement sounds pretty viable to me if he can sustain his defensive value.

Archived