Dan Duquette's Greatest Personnel Move

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to say. But I'll take a stab.

1. Getting Gonzo

2. Signing Adam Jones long term

3. Signing Steve Pearce. This guy was persistent after getting released. He was well worth it.

4. Trading Jim Johnson. I liked Jim Johnson when he was with us and getting loads of saves. But as his salary went up, up, up, his pitching prowess went down, down, down. I gather that DD saw this coming.

I would put signing Nelson Cruz in there somewhere if he can get Cruz re-signed to at lease a somewhat resonable contract.

For the move with the greatest impact, hands down it has to be Cruz. When you consider what we got him for, what he put up, and that even if they don't keep him they'll get back the pick they lost by signing him, it's a move that could have gone horribly wrong but went other worldly right. For the move with the best value for production, I go with Chen, with O'Day a close second. It didn't cost a lot to get him, and he's been a rock of consistency for three seasons. He might drive some people crazy for a whole host of reasons, but he's an average to above average major league left handed starter, those don't grow on tree's and that's why I go with him over O'Day. For the best signing based on expectations and best find, there's no way to say anyone other than Gonzalez. Nobody would have believed we'd found a back of the rotation type starter out of a near 30 year old from the Mexican League. Duquette and co. did that, and despite the lack of respect he gets from some folks, he's given us far more than anyone could have ever hoped for.

Archived