Dan Duquette's Greatest Personnel Move

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the move with the greatest impact, hands down it has to be Cruz. When you consider what we got him for, what he put up, and that even if they don't keep him they'll get back the pick they lost by signing him, it's a move that could have gone horribly wrong but went other worldly right. For the move with the best value for production, I go with Chen, with O'Day a close second. It didn't cost a lot to get him, and he's been a rock of consistency for three seasons. He might drive some people crazy for a whole host of reasons, but he's an average to above average major league left handed starter, those don't grow on tree's and that's why I go with him over O'Day. For the best signing based on expectations and best find, there's no way to say anyone other than Gonzalez. Nobody would have believed we'd found a back of the rotation type starter out of a near 30 year old from the Mexican League. Duquette and co. did that, and despite the lack of respect he gets from some folks, he's given us far more than anyone could have ever hoped for.

I love how he's given us two fine playoff performances, although he doesn't have a W to show for it.

Me too. I like Lee Thomas as well. The whole "Grumpy Old Men" gang has been wonderful. Brady has been a real blessing as well.

There's a great balance in the O's approach: Duquette has brought in both great old scouts--who, I presume, rely mainly on traditional criteria--and a whole bureau of young metrics & stat-heads. Getting their opinions integrated must be one of DD's talents.

I actually agree. Bud has been a huge addition.

You agree that it was the "steal of the century"?

I still don't care for the deal. After more then a season I still don't see anything special about Norris. He's a decent enough, but not special. He is certainly behind the others (Non-Ubaldo division) in regards to efficiency for the cost.

You agree that it was the "steal of the century"?

I still don't care for the deal. After more then a season I still don't see anything special about Norris. He's a decent enough, but not special. He is certainly behind the others (Non-Ubaldo division) in regards to efficiency for the cost.

15 wins, 165 innings last year. Basically you get 2 1/2 yrs of him for am OF who had no future here or likely in Houston and pitcher who may or may not become anything but seems to scout out as a reliever in many peoples opinion. Not to sure whats not to like about it unless your really high on Hader becoming a future starter and a pretty decent one at that

o

Someday, when we all look back on it, two great moments in Orioles history will have been:

A) Buck Showalter getting fired by the Yankees.

OOOOOOOOOOO AND

B) Dan Duquette getting fired by the Red Sox.

From almost 10 years ago (May 15th, 2005):

Imagine: Buck's Yankees, But Not Jeter's

(By Don Amore)

http://articles.courant.com/2005-05-15/sports/0505150227_1_yankees-fans-yankees-system-derek-jeter

15 wins, 165 innings last year. Basically you get 2 1/2 yrs of him for am OF who had no future here or likely in Houston and pitcher who may or may not become anything but seems to scout out as a reliever in many peoples opinion. Not to sure whats not to like about it unless your really high on Hader becoming a future starter and a pretty decent one at that

Wins? You are giving me wins?

FIP ERA+ 2014 salary (millions)

Norris 4.22 105 5.3

Chen 3.89 108 4.072

Tillman 4.01 114 .546

Gonzo 4.89 119 .529

Gaus 3.41 107 .5025

So Norris has the second highest FIP and the lowest ERA+ while making the most money.

Not sure how you can look at that and think Norris was a better acquisition then Chen, Gonzo, or Gausman.

Archived