Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

Per rotoworld... ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that Matt Joyce is drawing more interest than David DeJesus in potential trades.

DeJesus, who turns 35 later this month, struggled through a hand injury this past season and is owed $5 million next season with a $1 million buyout on a $5 million club option for 2016. MLB Trade Rumors projects Joyce to make $4.9 million next season in his final year of arbitration. He batted .254 with nine homers and a .732 OPS this past season and could be a strong fit as a platoon player.

Thoughts on Matt Joyce ?

Joyce has an .880 OPS against the O's and a 1.002 OPS at camden yards. We need to get him just to prevent him from hitting against us. Seriously though with Lough available as our platoon in rf I don't think it will work.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flaherty? That fringe 24 year old prospect can't be that much more valuable.

Joe Wendle had a broken hamate last year. At age 23 in High A he was quite great. I think there are a lot of questions about Moss and his health. If Moss was a big win, the Yankees or Red Sox might have been in on him also. Remember, all deals are good deals for those who get to report on them.

wow, moss was traded for a guy who wasn't even in the indians top 10 prospects. Why didn't we do that
...figures have trended downward in each successive campaign. Then there is the fact that moss’s value is limited by his poor defense in the outfield. Most worryingly of all, he has dealt with a significant hip issue that required offseason surgery.

Mlbtr.

Joe Wendle had a broken hamate last year. At age 23 in High A he was quite great. I think there are a lot of questions about Moss and his health. If Moss was a big win, the Yankees or Red Sox might have been in on him also. Remember, all deals are good deals for those who get to report on them.

Shouldn't a 23 year old in High A be pretty great?

For Oakland, the move clears some payroll space but doesn't bring much return in terms of on-field production. Wendle hit just .253/.311/.414 as a 24-year-old in about half a season of Double-A in 2014, playing an adequate second base. He has a simple swing that is geared toward contact with very little power, and he doesn't run well or show much patience. If he had a better history of performance at the plate, I could see a role for him in the majors, but I thought he was an org player when I saw him in the AFL in 2013, and I don't think he's much more than that today.

Keith Law doesn't even think this Wendle is a major leaguer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Coming up next, <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> skipper Buck Showalter stops by the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLBTonight?src=hash">#MLBTonight</a> set at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WinterMeetings?src=hash">#WinterMeetings</a>! <a href="http://t.co/YIidjBPVHJ">pic.twitter.com/YIidjBPVHJ</a></p>— MLB Network (@MLBNetwork) <a href="

">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Losing Markakis was real tough on our owner, on our fans... tough for me to talk about."

[on losing Markakis] "I like our guys" De Aza, Pearce

"Wieters is throwing a little bit, may be close to the beginning of the season."

[on Dan and Toronto] "He's made everybody aware this is where he is and where he's going to stay...non-issue on our club."

From ESPN

The Baltimore Orioles have some lineup holes to fill following the decision of Nelson Cruz to sign with the Mariners and Nick Markakis to head south to the Atlanta Braves. As the winter meetings begin, the O?s are talking to representatives for several outfielders, including Norichika Aoki, Colby Rasmus and Delmon Young, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

Heyman says Baltimore also ?does not appear to be heavily involved? in the pursuit of free agent Melky Cabrera, who was mentioned as a possible Plan B before Markakis departed.

Manager Buck Showalter conceded to Bill Madden of the New York Daily News that the Orioles are never going to be big players in the free agent market.

Given the limit on finances, one possible trade fit could be Marlon Byrd. Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets it is a "strong possibility" the Phillies will deal the 37-year-old Byrd, who will make $8 million next year with a vesting option for 2016.

Archived