Would you pay Wieters a nine figure contract?

AlbionHero

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/2016-free-agent-power-rankings.html

10. Matt Wieters. Wieters, 29 in May, saw his season end on May 10th of last year due to an elbow issue. The catcher had Tommy John surgery in June and expects to be ready for Opening Day. Will he be able to throw out baserunners? Wieters, who was drafted by the Orioles fifth overall in 2007, also must answer questions about his bat. He slumped to a .704 OPS in 2013, but had a great first month in ?14. Wieters tallied a mammoth 4,600 innings behind the dish from 2010-13, and it?s difficult to say when that workload will catch up to him. Wieters could get a nine-figure contract this offseason, but only if all of these questions are answered with a strong year.

If he has a bounceback year, thats what kinda contract he could be looking at. Would you pay it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. 30 year old who has already had TJ surgery? Too much risk for the O's to pay that kind of money for a player who will most likely end up at 1B/DH for most of the contract. I would be MUCH more interested in Chris Davis after a bounce-back year than Wieters. Unfortunately I am prepared to end up with neither.

I don't think he will get 9 figures. That would require at least a 6 year-deal and nobody is going to pay a catcher who has topped out at under 5 WAR more than $16 million per year through his age 35 season. I think even with a 5 WAR season this year, he tops out at 5/$75M.

A lot of things have to go right for teams to be thinking of paying Wieters a nine figure contract next year. He's got to show he's healthy and hit more like last year than his first several years in the bigs. If he does both of those things, I can't see us extending him. He will be 30 and has already logged a bunch of innings at catcher. I'd like to keep him, but if he proves those two things, some team is going to give him a foolish deal.

I don't think he will get 9 figures. That would require at least a 6 year-deal and nobody is going to pay a catcher who has topped out at under 5 WAR more than $16 million per year through his age 35 season. I think even with a 5 WAR season this year, he tops out at 5/$75M.

I am inclined to agree with you then I remember that Shin-Soo Choo got 7/120 when the only thing impressive about his game is his OBP.

If Wieters has a strong year I can see a team being dumb enough to give him 6/100. Of course some of that money might be deferred...

Archived