Go Duke!-beat Carolina

weemnj

Ok guys seriously, TH was in the game, with a 13 point lead, with 14.5 seconds left. No one is coming back from that.

He shouldn't have been in there. What if he had gone up for the rebound, came down awkwardly and blew out his knee? I bet ND and beaner would complain he was out there then.

I think thats a BS argument. Maybe he didn't have to be in the game, but its not like theres a hard and fast rule about not having any starters on the floor at the end of games when you're up by 10+. Its not like they were running up the score. I realize K has been quitting at the end of games this year, but most coaches don't. Plus, its not like their entire starting 5 was in the game, having a couple starters in the game is common, you still need 5 people to be on the floor. And when all you need is to grab a rebound and burn out the clock, why not have a guy that you think is most likely to grab that rebound on the floor?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But there is good reason to suspend him.

No there is not....A plsyer should be suspended if that had malicious intent. There was no doubt that he did not intend to do what he did.

I firmly believe it was going to be a hard foul if he didn't block the shot but that is fine.

Ok guys seriously, TH was in the game, with a 13 point lead, with 14.5 seconds left. No one is coming back from that.

He shouldn't have been in there. What if he had gone up for the rebound, came down awkwardly and blew out his knee? I bet ND and beaner would complain he was out there then.

Now, i do agree that Henderson was going to committ a hard foul but that is part of the game and there is no reason to chastize him for that.

I agree that TH should have been out of the game.

However, I disagree that a hard foul is part of the game with 14.5 seconds left and down by 13.

I think thats a BS argument. Maybe he didn't have to be in the game, but its not like theres a hard and fast rule about not having any starters on the floor at the end of games when you're up by 10+. Its not like they were running up the score. I realize K has been quitting at the end of games this year, but most coaches don't. Plus, its not like their entire starting 5 was in the game, having a couple starters in the game is common, you still need 5 people to be on the floor. And when all you need is to grab a rebound and burn out the clock, why not have a guy that you think is most likely to grab that rebound on the floor?

Sorry, in no way should he have been in the game.

Not that this justifies a hard foul or something like that but no way do you risk your star player in a game that was over with, with only 15 seconds left in the game.

No there is not....A plsyer should be suspended if that had malicious intent. There was no doubt that he did not intend to do what he did.

I firmly believe it was going to be a hard foul if he didn't block the shot but that is fine.

Now that we have had time to analyze the situation there may be no doubt in your eyes, but given the situation and the act, you can not say there was "no doubt" that he didn't intend to do it, because I would disagree.

Maybe not the outcome that really happened, but he swung pretty hard.

Sorry, in no way should he have been in the game.

Not that this justifies a hard foul or something like that but no way do you risk your star player in a game that was over with, with only 15 seconds left in the game.

And had the free throw been made, he would have been coming out. Coach K still had starters in, so he hadn't thrown in the towel (and, I don't think that TO he called with 50 seconds left was to tell his players to give up). I guess Roy should have thrown in the towel and let Duke's starters try to make the score more respectable? I really hate the "you were winning you should let them come back" argument. If you want the score to look respectable...play better. The whining by Coach K about this - IMO - makes the situation look worse than if he had kept his mouth shut. He came across as a total schmuck in the press conference.

Does this end the speculation?

Henderson said in a post game interview that Hansbrough pump faked which got all the Dookies up in the air, then he said "I tried to block his shot or foul him, unfortunately I came down on him, it actually was worse that what I intended.."

He is admitting that he was either trying to block his shot OR foul him. I agree that the ball was stripped before he had a chance to block the shot the the admission that he was trying to foul him if he couldn't block the shot is enough for me to think that the play was excessive at best.

Now that we have had time to analyze the situation there may be no doubt in your eyes, but given the situation and the act, you can not say there was "no doubt" that he didn't intend to do it, because I would disagree.

Maybe not the outcome that really happened, but he swung pretty hard.

He was trying to block the shot. There was no intent to foul in any way.

He was trying to block the shot. There was no intent to foul in any way.

Well if you look at the quote provided before your post, he admitted there was intent to block or foul. Based on the replay, I would say there was more intent of hard fouling than blocking.

And had the free throw been made, he would have been coming out. Coach K still had starters in, so he hadn't thrown in the towel (and, I don't think that TO he called with 50 seconds left was to tell his players to give up). I guess Roy should have thrown in the towel and let Duke's starters try to make the score more respectable? I really hate the "you were winning you should let them come back" argument. If you want the score to look respectable...play better. The whining by Coach K about this - IMO - makes the situation look worse than if he had kept his mouth shut. He came across as a total schmuck in the press conference.

If TH blew out his knee and missed a year of basketball, would you think it was a smart or stupid move to leave him in the game?

And i am sorry, there is no chance there was intent by Henderson...As i said before, his best friend is Wayne Ellington. He probably knows some of the guys over there and i highly doubt he would do anything to damage a friendship.

He wasn't even looking..if he was looking at TH, i would agree about the intent but he wasn't. That was obvious and not disputable.

None of those comments really back up your stance.

He wasn't even looking? He swung pretty damn hard for someone not looking.

You are assuming he knows guys on UNC and that all of these thoughts were going through his head as his team is getting beat by their number 1 rival at UNC.

I mean hell, it doesn't have to be a 1st degree assault, he may not have planned it out, but in the heat of the moment, he may have just went in hard and if he missed the block, oh well.

It is not as clear cut as the nay-sayers would like it to be.

He wasn't even looking?
Yea, he wasn't looking at TH...You can CLEARLY see that on the replay.
I mean hell, it doesn't have to be a 1st degree assault, he may not have planned it out, but in the heat of the moment, he may have just went in hard and if he missed the block, oh well.

Right, this is exactly what happened, although he didn't miss the block persay because TH lost the ball going up.

I am not debating that Henderson didn't go at TH aggressively with intent of not scoring or giving a hard foul. Hansbrough is a strong mf'er and you have to foul him hard to stop him from scoring.

Yea, he wasn't looking at TH...You can CLEARLY see that on the replay.

Right, this is exactly what happened, although he didn't miss the block persay because TH lost the ball going up.

I am not debating that Henderson didn't go at TH aggressively with intent of not scoring or giving a hard foul. Hansbrough is a strong mf'er and you have to foul him hard to stop him from scoring.

I think that my questioning of that is more to do with the lack of substance to back your position than anything else.

Yet, if your intent is to give someone a hard foul and you break his nose, you intentially tried to foul him hard. He got fouled hard and his nose broke, that is my point.

Well if you look at the quote provided before your post, he admitted there was intent to block or foul. Based on the replay, I would say there was more intent of hard fouling than blocking.
True, OK. But I didn't see anything intentionally rough.

Regardless, I take issue with the automatic suspension just based on the call on the floor.

Archived