Five Game Losing Streak

Bahama O's Fan

I don't believe they lost 5 in a row last season. They had a couple 4 game losing streaks and then another to close the season vs the Royals. In 2013, they had a couple 6 game losing streaks........let's hope they don't accomplish that today.

Not that a five game losing streak at this point in the season is the end of the world, but these games have been tough to watch.

The player that I'm most disappointed with is Chris Tillman:

• 7.58 ERA
  • Averaging less than five innings a start
  • Leads the team in homeruns and walks allowed
  • Yes Bud Norris has been worse, but Tillman should be held to higher standards

On another note, I can't wait till we get Hardy back. Evereth Cabrera has a .499 OPS this season. Not a single extra base hit...

But enough negativity. Let's see a win tonight.

I hope that they finally win because I'll be at the game. They looked like they were going to pull out a win last night. But we know how things turned out. My main concern right now is the defense. Far too many errors and misplays. I don't remember all of these key errors last year. I believe that many (if not most) of the runs that Boston scored, particularly late in the game were unearned.

To be honest, whist there have been some shocking displays recently, the last two games have been lost by relatively fine margins and me a little hope that we will start turning this around.

Confidence breed confidence. A couple of good starts, a couple of good defensive displays and the confidence would start running through the team again.

People need to start putting last season out of the minds, or any season for that matter, and stop comparing them. They have absolutely no bearing on anything going on this season.

While I semi agree, it is hard not to when the FO decided to pretty much roll with the same players. It's not like we are comparing years between As teams that was massive upheavals.

While I semi agree, it is hard not to when the FO decided to pretty much roll with the same players. It's not like we are comparing years between As teams that was massive upheavals.

Except we lost 3 keys guys and the excuse was well Wieters, Davis and MAcahdo will be back. Well Wieters is still out, Hardy is out, the bullpen is no flexible and 3/5 of the rotation had career years. This is why I am sick of people using the last year excuse.

I hope that they finally win because I'll be at the game. They looked like they were going to pull out a win last night. But we know how things turned out. My main concern right now is the defense. Far too many errors and misplays. I don't remember all of these key errors last year. I believe that many (if not most) of the runs that Boston scored, particularly late in the game were unearned.

It's guaranteed then.

I really don't want to see this streak go any longer. Just my own personal feeling, but a 7 or 8 game losing streak (or longer) would really make me question whether this team can compete this year. I know historically many championship teams have endured such streaks, but this team isn't the type to balance it out with a 12-2 streak. They were so consistent last year - seems like they won 2 of 3 games just about every series - so expecting a long win streak doesn't seem realistic, especially with our starters.

And, yes, I know last year is last year, but there are consistently good MLB teams (which the O's aspire to be, I assume) who DO maintain comparable levels of quality play from year to year. I'm hoping that Buck's Birds become that team, but a long losing streak, even in April, will be tough for them to overcome, looking at how they've won the last few years (CONSISTENCY).

The defense remains my biggest concern, with overall pitching a close second...

I really don't want to see this streak go any longer. Just my own personal feeling, but a 7 or 8 game losing streak (or longer) would really make me question whether this team can compete this year. I know historically many championship teams have endured such streaks, but this team isn't the type to balance it out with a 12-2 streak. They were so consistent last year - seems like they won 2 of 3 games just about every series - so expecting a long win streak doesn't seem realistic, especially with our starters.

And, yes, I know last year is last year, but there are consistently good MLB teams (which the O's aspire to be, I assume) who DO maintain comparable levels of quality play from year to year. I'm hoping that Buck's Birds become that team, but a long losing streak, even in April, will be tough for them to overcome, looking at how they've won the last few years (CONSISTENCY).

I agree that the defense is a big concern, which is why David Lough should be starting in the outfield everyday. Let's also be real that our #1 catcher, and #'s 1,2, and 3 defensive (and offensive?) MI are all injured. So, that's not going to help matters much. There aren't many teams that could do that and still have quality middle infield defense. The fact that we could still be good is a testament to the depth of this team, at least.

The starting pitching has been concerning, especially Tillman and Norris. I expect them both to turn it around, though. And hopefully, Ubaldo can keep it up. He and Gonzalez seem to be the lone bright spots of the staff. Our staff, with Ubaldo pitching lights out, is actually still really good.

3 games out & 3 games under .500 with a 145 games to go, 3 of 5 starting INFer's out and nobody except Adam Jones playing well gives me no reason to panic yet. Its been hard to watch the last 5 games but there is a long long long way to go.

Not that a five game losing streak at this point in the season is the end of the world, but these games have been tough to watch.

The player that I'm most disappointed with is Chris Tillman:

• 7.58 ERA
  • Averaging less than five innings a start
  • Leads the team in homeruns and walks allowed
  • Yes Bud Norris has been worse, but Tillman should be held to higher standards

On another note, I can't wait till we get Hardy back. Evereth Cabrera has a .499 OPS this season. Not a single extra base hit...

But enough negativity. Let's see a win tonight.

I hear ya about Tillman. But I keep trying to remind myself that he started out pretty rough last year too. He was rocking a 5.20 ERA in early June last year. So I think he'll be alright in the long run.

And I totally agree about Everth Cabrera. Don't really understand the love for this guy. He's great defensively, but seems like a replacement level bat.

So, the only pattern that can be different from year to year is one that involves lengths of LOSING streaks? And it necessarily means that they can't have a 12-2 streak this year primarily because they didn't have one last year? I don't think seasons work that way. Baseball seasons are completely unique experiences. And who are the "consistently good MLB teams" that you refer to? I would be interested in knowing what teams you think are far above our level in terms of being "consistently good."

Archived