Help explain the hate for Showalter.

Malike

Just browsing any AL East teams forums, or reading comments during games from other fans, Showalter seems to get a whole load of hate from opposing teams fans. I thought that perhaps it was because the O's are good again, but I really don't think that is the reason. Its totally possible I might have missed something and the answer is obvious, but there are so many scathing comments about Buck from other teams fans and I honestly don't know why.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just browsing any AL East teams forums, or reading comments during games from other fans, Showalter seems to get a whole load of hate from opposing teams fans. I thought that perhaps it was because the O's are good again, but I really don't think that is the reason. Its totally possible I might have missed something and the answer is obvious, but there are so many scathing comments about Buck from other teams fans and I honestly don't know why.

Turn it around. As an Oriole fan what do you think of Girardi, Farrell and Gibbons?

Malike said:

I believe that that is probably it.

Showalter has been an integral part of making the Orioles a perennial contender again ...... and they don't like it.

When you are no longer the "loveable loser", no longer a team that you will likely take at least 2 out of 3 games from (or sweep) when you play them most of the time ........ well,then you've just made a pain in the ass out of yourself to the previous "good sportsmanship" fans of rival teams.

I went to Fenway Park a couple of times in 1993 when the Orioles were contending for the division title, and the Red Sox were under .500.

Then I went to Fenway Park again in 2009, when the Orioles were finishing up what would be there 12th consecutive losing season.

My experiences at the stadium (16 years apart) were ........ different. Perhaps that's just my perception, though.

o

Turn it around. As an Oriole fan what do you think of Girardi, Farrell and Gibbons?

I don't think anything about them other than they are incompetent at handling different stages of the game. I have no hate for them whatsoever, and I've never felt compelled to make a scathing comment about thenm or their families like you read about Buck on a consistent basis.

Gibbons is known for stealing signs. Allows his players to showboat. The Stroman thing last year told me a lot about Gibbons. I don't think much of him as a manager.

Girardi is smart but he is a Yankee. I think that says it all.

Farrell allows Big Poppy to do about anything he wants which is pretty disgusting at times.

Pretty high profile to even casual fans because of the baseball tonight gig and time as a Yankee. Successful. Pretty opinionated. Confident. Good with media. Definitely talks the "play the game the right way" vibe a lot. He's called out the Yanks and some others about payroll. Opinionated. He said a few things about Joe Madden when he was Tampa manager. They don't like each other. Some people are not a fan of the folksy "aw shucks" way of speaking with the media. Buck might bug me if he managed a team I disliked passionately. But thankfully he works for the O's. :)

I love Buck, buy if he's the opposition I think he comes off like he's the keeper of the game.
Sounds like the Toronto fans think he is aware of throwing at guys and hides behind the "we don't play the game that way" stuff. Probably consider him sanctimonious.

Don't really care what other fans think though.

Pretty high profile to even casual fans because of the baseball tonight gig and time as a Yankee. Successful. Pretty opinionated. Confident. Good with media. Definitely talks the "play the game the right way" vibe a lot. He's called out the Yanks and some others about payroll. Opinionated. He said a few things about Joe Madden when he was Tampa manager. They don't like each other. Some people are not a fan of the folksy "aw shucks" way of speaking with the media. Buck might bug me if he managed a team I disliked passionately. But thankfully he works for the O's. :)

These are all good points. Just reading SoSH for instance, man, they LOATHE Buck. I've just never really seen that type of contempt for a Manager. They don't even really talk bad about our players, but they hate Showalter.

Archived