Help explain the hate for Showalter.

Malike

I love Buck, buy if he's the opposition I think he comes off like he's the keeper of the game.

Well said. I think that's it, really. He's a very straight-shooting personality. He doesn't mince words. He's super intelligent. And he's really competent. I see any Buckhate as simple jealousy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Jeter's book, Buck was loved in New York. It was his standing up to King George and refusing to can his entire coaching staff and bring in new guys that had him shown the door.

Sometimes managers do learn to be better managers after getting fired more than once.

I guess that is why owners keep recycling previously managers. :)

That's not what got him out of NY. He was holding out for a third year on a new contract and did not want to fire batting coach Rick Down; not the entire staff.

http://articles.courant.com/1995-10-27/sports/9510270422_1_principal-owner-george-steinbrenner-yankees-general-manager-yankees-third-base-coach

That's not what got him out of NY. He was holding out for a third year on a new contract and did not want to fire batting coach Rick Down; not the entire staff.

http://articles.courant.com/1995-10-27/sports/9510270422_1_principal-owner-george-steinbrenner-yankees-general-manager-yankees-third-base-coach

I guess like Jeter's book, it's one man's opinion of the events.

Turn it around. As an Oriole fan what do you think of Girardi, Farrell and Gibbons?

I have never referred to any of them with a pejorative like "Bucktard," which I read online the other day.

And if you are going to slam someone, you'd better be more clever than that.

I don't really dislike any of the other managers except for maybe Girardi. The whining never stops with that guy.

Buck talking smack about the other teams was what the Orioles needed at the time and he knew it.

Archived