Help explain the hate for Showalter.

Malike

Bucks a bristly kind of guy who doesn't suffer fools. Since most baseball fans are fools, it stands to reason he isn't regarded as warm and fuzzy.

I'm pretty sure the O's have just as many "fools" who root for them as other teams do. I don't see them making scathing comments about Buck.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure the O's have just as many "fools" who root for them as other teams do. I don't see them making scathing comments about Buck.
There are plenty of fools on the OH who seem to think they know better than Buck. Buck's the smartest baseball man I've seen since Earl Weaver. People didn't like Earl either.

Pretty high profile to even casual fans because of the baseball tonight gig and time as a Yankee. Successful. Pretty opinionated. Confident. Good with media. Definitely talks the "play the game the right way" vibe a lot. He's called out the Yanks and some others about payroll. Opinionated. He said a few things about Joe Madden when he was Tampa manager. They don't like each other. Some people are not a fan of the folksy "aw shucks" way of speaking with the media. Buck might bug me if he managed a team I disliked passionately. But thankfully he works for the O's. :)

Good post. Agree.

Didn't he win a World series..

Ozzie Guillen, Jack McKeon and Bob Brenly won World Series. I don't think any of them are good managers, but if that's the benchmark of a good manager, then I guess Farrell is a good one.

Turn it around. As an Oriole fan what do you think of Girardi, Farrell and Gibbons?
I'm actually rather indifferent to them. I don't hate them. I may hate the team and some of their players, but I don't hate the managers. Unless a manager instigates a fight such as instructing his pitcher to throw at an Oriole.

They hate him because he's shaken up the status quo and the O's are relevant again. Winning the East by that large margin last year really was a thorn in their sides.

NY and Boston had a comfortable perches since '98 and when "The Birds" shoved them over to make room, they squawked back. Toronto's pissed too, as they seem to lead often in the first half.

Some of the commenters on message boards and MLB.com stories (like last week regarding Papi and Bautista) sounded like sociopaths, imho. I get worked up and may say things not much different than Buck or Palmer stated last week, but it really brought out some truly ugliness. The internet has really allowed people to show their deepest ugly side which would have been short-lived frustrations in the old days.

I don't think anything about them other than they are incompetent at handling different stages of the game. I have no hate for them whatsoever, and I've never felt compelled to make a scathing comment about thenm or their families like you read about Buck on a consistent basis.

This site is anomaly. If you look elsewhere you will see attacks go unmoderated. Cito Sux is about as far as it goes here.

Archived