Everth Cabrera can't be optioned without his consent

wildcard

From MLBTR:

Injured Orioles shortstop Everth Cabrera, who has struggled for Baltimore, is no longer capable of being optioned without consent as he has reached five years of service, Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun notes (Twitter link). With J.J. Hardy returning to action, Cabrera may not have an active roster spot when he returns, and his new service time status could well complicate the club's decisionmaking.

Cabrera went on the DL instead of being optioned. If he doesn't consent to go to the minors after his DL stay the O's might be forced to DFA him. Considering his poor offensive performance he may pass through waivers. This is similar to what happened to Ryan Webb. The O's can't make a 5 year player accept a minor league assignment. This could lead to Cabrera's trade or release.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/0...lis-rodon.html

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From MLBTR:

Cabrera went on the DL instead of being optioned. If he doesn't consent to go to the minors after his DL stay the O's might be forced to DFA him. Considering his poor offensive performance he may pass through waivers. This is similar to what happened to Ryan Webb. The O's can't make a 5 year player accept a minor league assignment. This could lead to Cabrera's trade or release.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/0...lis-rodon.html

He needs to make a trip to the DR and see his "pharmacist", come back and ride that puppy until detection, I fear. ;)

Within 35 days -- 15 days on the DL and a 20-day rehab -- they should know whether or not he's necessary for the rest of the season.

How does Janish compare defensively?

They say he is a wizard, Buck is very high on him. He doubled to allow Henry and Nolan to sacrifice fly him in for the 24th inning win last night too.

Within 35 days -- 15 days on the DL and a 20-day rehab -- they should know whether or not he's necessary for the rest of the season.

How does Janish compare defensively?

I am thinking his time might be over anyway. Not the smartest baseball player and I am sure Buck has taken notice. I would be surprised if he actually had all 20 days on a rehab assignment.

Archived