2015 1st Round (25) - D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

Boros! Probably one of the reasons Stewart kept sliding. Let's hope this doesn't keep going on long because if Boros thinks Stewart is going to get any more money as a 22-year old with no leverage he's on drugs. Sign for slot and let's move on.

There should be no delay in this process unless Boros is being Boros.

He knows the O's have saved money on two picks now.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boros! Probably one of the reasons Stewart kept sliding. Let's hope this doesn't keep going on long because if Boros thinks Stewart is going to get any more money as a 22-year old with no leverage he's on drugs. Sign for slot and let's move on.

I don't have the sense that Stewart kept sliding. I didn't see any mock drafts where he was projected to go higher. Can you shed some light on what you are basing this on, or is it just that Boras is particularly good at squeezing every last dollar from teams (ie, he is good at his job)?

There is little reason for players to sign before the deadline, so as to ensure that teams actually spend the entirety of their slot values. This is the whole reason that the signing deadline was moved up.

Yeah, but I'm guessing it's not for Stewart.

If they don't save enough to sign Fenter (or failing that, Cody Morris?), you can be sure that Boras will be waiting until the deadline, making sure that Stewart gets the extra money instead of having it go back in the Orioles pockets.

If they don't save enough to sign Fenter (or failing that, Cody Morris?), you can be sure that Boras will be waiting until the deadline, making sure that Stewart gets the extra money instead of having it go back in the Orioles pockets.

That is what happened with Gausman, of course that may have been the Orioles game plan all along.

I shuddered when I first heard about this draft, because of whom his agent was, but, then I thought the slot system was suppose to take away the drama of getting their kids signed?

I shuddered when I first heard about this draft, because of whom his agent was, but, then I thought the slot system was suppose to take away the drama of getting their kids signed?

I'm not too worried about it. It's been one week, and its not like Stewart is some elite talent with a lot of leverage.

You short circuit that buy having a strong idea as to what your overslots need to sign. Ink them first and then put a very fair offer in front of your college junior. Since BAL is at the back of the 1st I would think it needs to be at least slot for prudent planning.

Where would we expect Stewart to start assuming he signs? Does he go to Aberdeen to get his feet wet and then jump to Frederick? Straight to Frederick with hopes of ending the season in Bowie?

The last college bat we drafted in the first round was Wiet and he didn't play the season he was drafted. Before that was Markakis who played the full season in Aberdeen, but he was a CC selection and only 19 when drafted.

Where would we expect Stewart to start assuming he signs? Does he go to Aberdeen to get his feet wet and then jump to Frederick? Straight to Frederick with hopes of ending the season in Bowie?

The last college bat we drafted in the first round was Wiet and he didn't play the season he was drafted. Before that was Markakis who played the full season in Aberdeen, but he was a CC selection and only 19 when drafted.

I could see him on the Reimold plan where he starts at Aberdeen to get his feet wet but ends the season with either Delmarva or Frederick depending on need and playoff implications. It would not surprise me in the least if he starts next year at Frederick, that's if Boros doesn't pee away some of his professional time this summer.

I could see him on the Reimold plan where he starts at Aberdeen to get his feet wet but ends the season with either Delmarva or Frederick depending on need and playoff implications. It would not surprise me in the least if he starts next year at Frederick, that's if Boros doesn't pee away some of his professional time this summer.

Boras will absolutely piss away some of his development time. Maybe that is why Chen is in Frederick. Now if I were Dan? He'd stay there until Stewart signs. Not Bowie. Not Norfolk. Just saying.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's continue to make solid progress with top pick DJ Stewart. Lot of recent dialogue. May not happen by Saturday but could soon.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 19, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived