2015 2nd (68) - Jonathan Hughes - RHP - HS (GA)

The above is the translation for the below?

Glad it was third pitch and not first like we would usually do for that guy. Especially if someone rated him helium.

No. It was just something I found. As I said. I have no knowledge of this kid. I am glad we did not take him first round.

Well, as a guy who is not really a fan of drafting high school pitchers in the early rounds, I'll wait and see what he ends up doing. Too much injury risk for me, but maybe they are still saving money for something later in the draft.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles had those 2 HS kids they drafted rated in the top 50 on their draft board. RHP Hughes was in for private workout, seen by Duquette.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Please don't tell me this means they think he is worth slot.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles had those 2 HS kids they drafted rated in the top 50 on their draft board. RHP Hughes was in for private workout, seen by Duquette.</p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, I'd certainly hope they had Mountcastle ranked in their top 50, considering they picked him 36th.

Even if you see second-round value in a kid that is a consensus round 4-6 pick, that doesn't mean that you should necessarily pick him in the second round. Most likely you could still get him in the third round.

Or maybe not, but the draft is about taking calculated risks.

Even if you see second-round value in a kid that is a consensus round 4-6 pick, that doesn't mean that you should necessarily pick him in the second round. Most likely you could still get him in the third round.

All it takes is one other team to like him and suddenly he's not there in round 3. And if he were more polished, or maintained his velo better, or had more projection, he'd be gone in the first.

I don't know, I'm not ecstatic about this pick, but his fastball's got some serious life and I love the tilt on the slider. Absolutely no deception in the delivery, though. There's lots of upside here, but it'll take some work to bring it out.

Sure, but the team has to judge the risk that some other team will snatch up the player. It's a tricky proposition.

• 2 weeks later...

So he's the only guy in the top 10 not signed. We speculated that he may have been a slot money savings pick. I'm hoping so. That way we can use whatever savings and tack it on to the 100K you are allowed to spend on guys outside the top 10. If we could get Hughes to sign for half slot then we could throw 400-500K at Pries or Walton.

So he's the only guy in the top 10 not signed. We speculated that he may have been a slot money savings pick. I'm hoping so. That way we can use whatever savings and tack it on to the 100K you are allowed to spend on guys outside the top 10. If we could get Hughes to sign for half slot then we could throw 400-500K at Pries or Walton.

...or Morris.