vs. Yankees - Flag Day

scOtt

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it's tired to point this out in this situation, but that's why Ks are such an important part of pitching. Good pitchers help themselves but keeping the ball out of play.

Plus keeping the pitch count down.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• THIS. I said it last night in the game thread. This stupid six man rotation and moving starters around like chess pieces messes w/ their routines. You have to get Burnes on turn every 5 days to maximize him and then everyone else is like roulette. After last night, Kremer should just be moved to the pen and go back to a 5 man rotation.
    • Kremer denied both the blister and the extra rest as reasons, as any pitcher normally would. I tend to think both absolutely were a factor regardless of what he said. Would have been a convenient way to keep Irvin in the rotation and get Dean some extra time to get comfortable after getting the blister removed. It's extremely painful to deal with a popped blister and it takes a long time to form a new callous, etc.  Just my opinion, no huge deal either way. 
    • I still read it as “we predicted this before the season but now we’re predicting this”.
    • Yep, the league has already started to pitch Gunnar more carefully (on all ABs not just leadoff) and we are seeing his walk totals go up over last two weeks. In terms of seeing 1 pitch to hit an AB, Gunnar was definitely sitting on 2 strike sweeper from Gray last night that he deposited in CF bleachers.  You just don’t go oppo taco on outside edge breaking ball on one of the best spinners in the league.  Love how Gunnar is hunting certain pitches now.  Thought the same thing given the swings he put on Kirby’s split for HR (Sunday). 
    • If the Orioles really thought Cook was a potential MLB option, I don’t think they would have sent him back to AA when they didn’t have roster space at AAA early in the season. He’s having a very good year though so he could potentially change their view of him.  The other obstacle is he may not get a 40-man spot this off-season despite being rule 5 eligible the first time, there’s a lot of potential additions.  If Norby isn’t traded, he’ll get one of them and Cook’s only advantages over Norby are speed and CF defense, which may not be enough (especially if Mateo is still around). And shortly behind them is Fabian, who is Rule 5 eligible after 2025 and offers those things better than Cook (albeit still with big question marks about his K rate).  I could see Cook threading the needle and get some cup of coffee opportunity between Norby and Fabian if the need arises, but the Orioles have stacked so much bench depth for next couple years there would probably need to be a significant shakeup with trades and/or injuries. 
    • Well I think Szymborski would say those ZIPs numbers are 50th percentile but even the 80th percentile had Gunnar at 148 OPS+ and 6.2 fWAR (link to O’s preseason write up on fangraphs)
    • Is this an attempt at a joke? A troll post? Something else? ... I'm not sure what to do with such a preposterous notion (unless it was stated in jest).
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now