This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

I know Snider gets a lot of hate, but I still am left scratching my head at his lack of playing time as compared to Parmelee. The Parmelee experiment should be over at this point. I'm not saying DFA him, but he should be riding the pine. I miss Davis at 1B.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone in the off season posted Snider's numbers against fastballs of a certain velocity. The inference was that he couldn't catch up to plus fastballs. That's what I've been seeing all year long. I just don't think he's good.

I was not aware of that. But it makes sense. Yet didn't he progressively get better after the all star break last year?

It is pretty obvious to me that they are trying to see if Parmalee can man 1B in the future or not. They clearly think they found something in the minors and he now has a chance at the MLB level. He was once pretty highly regarded. He does clearly have enough bat speed and really good power.

They are going to give him some number of at bats and then make a decision. I'd guess that is variable depending on how he does. If he doesn't hit, he will go. I personally don't think most of his at bats have looked bad, but he does have some clunkers against certain types of pitchers it appears.

I think Snider is more of a known commodity and they realize he can only play 3-4 times a week and maintain enough bat speed. It is pretty obvious when he starts selling out because he misses even bad changeups.

These are just my opinions on what they are doing, but I don't think either is a reach.

Good breakdown. I just find the whole offseason more frustrating. I thought Markakis flaws and all would be harder to replace than some others felt and I think we are seeing that.

Good breakdown. I just find the whole offseason more frustrating. I thought Markakis flaws and all would be harder to replace than some others felt and I think we are seeing that.

So far the O's RFers have been a fraction of a win above replacement, the LFers a little over a win, and Markakis 1.2 wins. The difference between Markakis and his replacements have been less than a win. But also about $40M in commitment to a player who will likely decline going forward. I continue to think the choice to not resign him hasn't cost the team much this year, while saving them from future large expenditures for poor production.

So far the O's RFers have been a fraction of a win above replacement, the LFers a little over a win, and Markakis 1.2 wins. The difference between Markakis and his replacements have been less than a win. But also about $40M in commitment to a player who will likely decline going forward. I continue to think the choice to not resign him hasn't cost the team much this year, while saving them from future large expenditures for poor production.

I am very much a cynic when it comes to WAR. I know that no one claims that it is a perfect stat but I find some of the numbers comical. Markakis has played in 762 innings in the field and Snider has played in 387 innings. Markakis has an OBP of .381 to Snider's .325. Markakis WAR is 1.1 while Snider is 1.4. So a player who has played in 375 fewer innings and has 206 PA's to Markakis 381, a difference of 175 is a more "valuable" player? Now have I watched much of Markakis this year no, I haven't. I find it insulting to my baseball intelligence that Snider even if he has a little more range is such a superior defender over Nick. Also Snider is a player that gets pinch hit for constantly. So a guy that has played roughly half the innings on the field and close to half the at bats at lesser production is more valuable because WAR says so? Even if the argument is that WAR difference is minimal it still doesn't add up.

I don't understand what the club sees in Parmelee. He has hit in the minors before, including this season, but he has had several chances in the majors and has never produced. His hitting output in Baltimore this season has consisted of a couple of great games against the Phillies, and zip squat since.

This is not like JJ Hardy, who is in a terrible slump but who has a track record of success that suggests that he'll eventually snap out of it. There is nothing in Parmelee's track record that should give him any kind of benefit of the doubt.

They're actually considering him as a 1B for next year? Ridiculous. That's beneath even Tampa Bay.

Andrew Miller- 4/36. Funny how most people would be willing to go very close to this for Darren O'day now. That's what it's going to take. We just gave a divisional rival are stud reliever.

Nelson Cruz- 24 HR's already. But that 3rd and 4th year is guaranteed to be horrible. Or is it?

Nick Markakis- Top 20 OBP in all of baseball. Didn't even make a Q.O. to him.

Watching this team it's obvious we're two bats and a MR short. Here's you players. They cost no prospects. Instead of spending 20 million on 10 players to fill their roles you could have just spent 35ish million and have a real shot at winning. We're willing to take on salary now for a rental. It's a joke that the core of this team was not kept around after making it to the ALCS with one of the youngest rosters in the league.

While I agree with the general tone of your post, the problem is that there weren't a lot of good options. In fact, if you look at all the top position player signings, most of them have been busts so far.

1. Pablo Sandoval- Is hitting .266/.308/.388 is one of the most hitter friendly ballparks in baseball

2. Hanley Ramirez- Is having a good season with the Red Sox but is way too expensive for the Orioles tastes

3. Russell Martin- Appears to be a very good signing but the Orioles were already fine at Catcher with Wieters and Joseph

4. Nelson Cruz- Is having a great season with the Mariners but four years is too much for a 34 year old DH.

5. Chase Headley- Is having a poor season with the Yankees.

6. Nick Markakis- Is getting on-base at a good rate but his power has completely disappeared, has ZERO homers so FAR

7. Melky Cabrera- Is having a terrible year with the White Sox.

8. Billy Butler- Is having a bad year with the A's.

9. Adam LaRoche- Is hitting .225 with the White Sox and wouldn't be an upgrade over Davis at 1B or Paredes at DH

10. Jed Lowrie- Orioles already re-signed J.J. Hardy so there would have been no need for him.

11. Kendrys Morales- He's having a good year but the problem is he's exclusively a DH and Jimmy Paredes has offered similar production at a fraction of the price. The Orioles also don't seem to trust Paredes to play the outfield. He's played two innings out there despite all the junk players that has filtered through this season. There would be no room for Morales on this team.

12. Mike Morse- Has been terrible with the Marlins

13. Alex Rios- Is having a terrible year with the Royals

14. Torii Hunter- Still effective at age 39 but I think he always intended on going back to Minnesota

All of the good players were either too expensive (Hanley Ramirez), completely unnecessary (Martin, Lowrie) or signed for too many years (Cruz). The only player the Orioles might have missed out on is Kendrys Morales but again there would have been no room on this team because both Morales and Paredes are exclusive DH types. There really wasn't much out there in the FA pool last off-season.

" 4. Nelson Cruz- Is having a great season with the Mariners but four years is too much for a 34 year old DH."

Really?

Tell that to 39 yr old Alex Rodriguez.

I think its crystal clear that the Orioles made a mistake not resigning Cruz and giving him the 4 years..

Andrew Miller- 4/36. Funny how most people would be willing to go very close to this for Darren O'day now. That's what it's going to take. We just gave a divisional rival are stud reliever.

Nelson Cruz- 24 HR's already. But that 3rd and 4th year is guaranteed to be horrible. Or is it?

Watching this team it's obvious we're two bats and a MR short. Here's you players. They cost no prospects. Instead of spending 20 million on 10 players to fill their roles you could have just spent 35ish million and have a real shot at winning. We're willing to take on salary now for a rental. It's a joke that the core of this team was not kept around after making it to the ALCS with one of the youngest rosters in the league.

How does this lineup sound right about now:

1) Markakis - RF

2) Machado - 3B

3) Jones - CF

4) Cruz - LF

5) Davis - 1B

6) Wieters - DH

7) Hardy - SS

8) Schoop - 2B

9) Joseph - C

??? Of course, hindsight...

YUP... and also maybe a SP too.

How does this lineup sound right about now:

1) Markakis - RF

2) Machado - 3B

3) Jones - CF

4) Cruz - LF

5) Davis - 1B

6) Wieters - DH

7) Hardy - SS

8) Schoop - 2B

9) Joseph - C

??? Of course, hindsight...

I'm pretty sure that you missed a memo. It's 100% fact that those contracts are going to be horrible for all of 2017 and 2018. Whew. Glad we dodged that bullet.

" 4. Nelson Cruz- Is having a great season with the Mariners but four years is too much for a 34 year old DH."

Really?

Tell that to 39 yr old Alex Rodriguez.

I think its crystal clear that the Orioles made a mistake not resigning Cruz and giving him the 4 years..

Using A-Rod doesn't really help your argument. I am sure taking a year off helped his body.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived