vs. TIGERS 8/02

scOtt

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CATCHES them! That's what I love. BJS was great at that. If he got to it, he CAUGHT it!

Another former Brewer too heh. But yeah he gets to balls and catches them. I like that. Seems like a nice dude too so he'll fit in nicely in the clubhouse as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of astroids, I think Paredes swung at one there for strike 3. That was barely in the stratosphere.

Our opponents throw 0-2 pitches out of the strike zone, and, naturally, we swing at them. We throw 0-2 pitches in the strike zone, and our opponent hit them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Good post.  They guys that have skillsets most similar to him are Franco and Greene.  Franco was a slight disappointment.  Greene has been as well.  Again, I am not saying he isn't a top 20 overall prospect.  I just think he isn't top 5 or as good as Mayo or Basallo
    • Its the second extension that is killer many times.  Not sure why teams rush to extend guys into their late 30s.  Just doesn't make sense.
    • Holliday committed his 10th error in 40 games at 2b at Norfolk this year and that is flat out ugly.   At SS last year in 2.5X the innings he made a total of 12 errors all year-at a much more demanding and difficult position.  For context Westburg at 2b has a total of 2 errors in 3 times the chances, the much maligned Frazier had 5 errors in 3X the chances/games.  Norby who is seen as sub par committed a terrible 16 last year in 3x the chances!!  Holliday is on an atrocious pace, approaching dead ball era stats. That doesn't count the arm yips or foibles on pop ups in RF plus mistakes in responsibilities-was it a coincidence he was demoted  just after blowing a crucial cut-he broke to cover the bag on a ball to RF?   Look-I know error stats are dubious but this is more than a trend-he's simply not ready to play 2b defensively at ML level.  I really like JH and think he is special-his range, anticipation and hands are exceptional  but it's not so easy to plug a guy into a position he has rarely played without defensive consequences.    
    • Looks like a really solid lineup.  Maybe even Mullins between Cowser and Stowers can get it going.  I always like Mateo in front of Henderson.
    • He has the ability to do damage.  23 of his 51 hits are for extra bases. He has 54 walks.  Someone is being careful with him.   
    • Manny had elbow surgery at the end of last season and didn’t play 3B until April 26 this year.  Since then he’s mostly played 3B, but I see he’s DH’d the last three games.  My guess is he’s still dealing with the after-effects of the surgery.  It’s been a tough two years for Manny, as he also broke his wrist last May and missed a couple of weeks.   Bottom line, these haven’t been the two healthiest years for Manny.   As to his contract, I thought the original deal was fine but the five year extension was stupid.  I do think his injuries explain some of his decline the last two years and expect him to bounce back, but there’s no doubt that the last part of his contract could be extremely ugly.    
    • Manny had an opt-out at the end of 2023 so I guess the Padres felt like they had to extend him (11 years, 350 million) or risk losing him. Personally, I felt like the extension would turn into a nightmare for San Diego rather quickly, and I probably would have let him walk if somebody else wanted to pay him.
  • Popular Contributors