Has This Team Turned The Corner?

MagicBird

Not that it means much, but Aaron Boone was giving the Orioles some love on Baseball Tonight. They are the team under the radar that nobody is paying attention too. He also thinks 3 AL East teams make the post season.

We shall see.

That would be interesting if the playin game in both the AL and NL involve teams from within the same division. And at least in the NL they would go on to face another divisional foe in the ALDS.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I am a season ticket holder ;) I like it there. One of the nicest parks in all of baseball. Majors or Minors. You should come to a Bowie game next year with me. Tickets my treat. I destroy nothing.

I go to a lot of Bowie games with the misses. Keys next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be interesting if the playin game in both the AL and NL involve teams from within the same division. And at least in the NL they would go on to face another divisional foe in the ALDS.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The way everybody is clustered up, there could be a tie-breaker game for the second wildcard. You could have Tampa, the O's, and one of Toronto/NYY all playing postseason without winning the division.

Our bullpen is just down right filthy right now. Brach/givens then oday the Britton. If our starters can just give us QS's we will go on a nice little run. I've been a huge clevenger fan, so I think he can solidify the DH spot. Uruttia will be given a chance to fill the LF spot vs Rhp. Last year we picked up some minor parts in August. It might be time to do that this year. Maybe another bat and a BP arm.

If Tillman gets white hot, Gausman suddenly develops a filthy breaking pitch, and Jimenez channels his third-place Cy Young season I'll give us a great chance to go deep into the playoffs. Otherwise, the starting pitching still scares me.

I feel better about the lineup now than I have all year. Getting some seriously struggling guys out of here (including Lough finally and mercifully) is good. Getting an August pickup to replace Reimold (since Pearce is delayed) would help.

I'm not sure where you got this information, but it's wrong. We have 46 games to play, 23 at home and 23 on the road.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/08/buck-showalter-on-david-loughs-dfa-it-tugs-at-you.html

"The Orioles have played 52 home games, tied with the Rangers for fewest in the majors. Their 61 road games are tied with the Rangers and Braves for most in the majors."

Roch wrote that before the start of the Oakland series.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/08/buck-showalter-on-david-loughs-dfa-it-tugs-at-you.html

"The Orioles have played 52 home games, tied with the Rangers for fewest in the majors. Their 61 road games are tied with the Rangers and Braves for most in the majors."

Roch wrote that before the start of the Oakland series.

Is Roch counting the games moved to Tampa because of rioting as home or road games?

Nope it just means that we're in the middle of a little winning streak that will shortly be canceled out by a losing streak. That's what this team has done all season.

Yup we are playing a crap team. Lost 2 against the Mariners. Lost 2 against the Angels. Both of them were struggling. Yes, this team beats bad teams...but they're awful against good teams. I like the winning, but our starting pitching is a disaster. And I suspect bad things ahead, unfortunately. You can win with so so starting pitching and an elite bullpen. But you can't win with crappy starting pitching.

Absolutely not. This A's team is god awful. If they can play well against the mets then through the week then yea. The pitching still stinks

Gotta agree. The Birds have pulled me in one too many times this year with a strong stretch at home, only to completely unravel as soon as they leave OPACY. Even if they take 2 of 3 from the Mets and finish around 8-2 on this homestand, I still need them to show up in KC and TEX next week. A 2-5 or 1-6 trip doesn't seem that unlikely - hopefully they prove me wrong!

I like the post and positivity of the OP. We are right there and if we can get hot, we could do it. That being said we are 3-2 over our last 5 games and facing two of the best starting pitchers in the league the next two days (Gray and deGrom). If we lose those two, we are 3-4 over our last 7.

Had we won 2 of 3 against the Angels and Mariners, which was doable, and then we?d be truly hot.

The team truly needs to get hot ? not just make us think that?s going to happen. The positive thing is we easily could have lost the first two against the As and then this board would probably have needed to have been shut down.

I don't trust the starting pitching.

Can_of_corn is right on the money. In the end, we won?t do it unless the SP gets better. Last year, we ran away with it because the SP was amazing after the break. And we got swept by KC because the SP way awful against the Royals (particularly first two games).

I just looked at the MLB sortable stats. We have a grand total of 1 SP with an ERA under 4 since the All-Star break. The Yankees have 4 (if you count Severino (3.18) and his 3 starts ? the others being Tanaka (3.46), Eoviald (3.48) i, and Nova (3.68)).

Why has Toronto been on fire until this weekend? Starting pitching. They?ve got 4 guys with a ERA at 3.21 or better since the All-Star break. Dickey ? 1.49, Price 1.61 (Toronto starts only), Estrada 2.45 and Buehrle (3.21). Their weak link ? Hutchinson 4.28 since the break ? has a better ERA post-all star break better than all of the Orioles except for Tillman and Gausman.

For the Os to catch them, we are going to have improve a ton and have them deprove.

Here are the Orioles starters post-All star break ERAs.

Tillman ? 2.08

Gausman ? 4.05

Chen ? 4.59

Gonzales ? 4.91

Jimenez ? 7.39

That must improve. Early on yesterday, I was thinking to myself, ?I love Miggy but Buck might have call up Wilson as this just can?t continue.?

For comparison?s sake, here are our starters post All-Star break ERAs last year. Everyone but Ubaldo was under 4 and 3 of the guys were under 3!! It was Toronto like.

Gonzalez ? 2.19

Tillman ? 2.33

Chen ? 2.76

Norris ? 3.27

Gausman ? 3.72

Jimenez ? 5.96

In case you are wondering, here are the Angels SP ERAs sine the break.

Weaver ? 3.27 (2 starts)

Richards ? 3.59

Heaney ? 3.65

Wilson ? 4.24 (3 starts)

Shoemaker ? 4.44

Santiago ? 5.13

Archived