Please get Matusz off of this team!

unitastoheap

Why did it matter most in August? All the months matter equally.

The Orioles' hitting has certainly been streaky, but the pitching has been consistently bad. That's worse.

Well the team was still solidly in contention in August. Look like I said....I'm not blaming the offense only. I don't think neither has been very consistent this year.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles' hitting has certainly been streaky, but the pitching has been consistently bad. That's worse.

Actually, the pitching has not been consistently bad. Wei-Yin Chen was reliable for the most part. And Ubaldo could get us a few wins on his good days. For the most part, the bullpen was successful, especially when guys like Tillman or Bud Norris faltered. As for Gonzo, I believe that he was trying to pitch through an injury before he finally went back on the DL.

This team, this year, was full of streaks, both on offense and pitching.

It was in August that the team started their downward tailspin. They were in contention until then.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Matusz is <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> nominee for Roberto Clemente award</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">September 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Their are 5 pitchers on the team worth more WAR, and 2 on the team with a higher ERA+. Brian Matusz is clearly the reason the Orioles are bad this season.

Yep, it's all Matusz's fault. It's Matusz's fault that Chris Davis struck out so often. It's Matusz's fault that, in the month of August going into September, the offense usually wasn't able to score more than 2-3 runs. It's Matusz's fault that Bud Norris sucked so badly that he was released. It's Matusz's fault that 6 players (or was it 7?) were DFA'd this season, making the team owe a ton of dead money. It's Matusz's fault that he couldn't convince DDto DFA him as well. :rolleyestf:

Yeah, Matusz is unquestionably a whipping boy of this team that fell apart at the seams just before the halfway mark ...... the Orioles were 41-34 after 77 games. They went 5-15 over their next 20 games, to fall to 46-49. After that, they managed to get 3 and 5 games above .500 respectively at 2 different points, but then went downhill again immediately after that.

Those collapses don't have a hell of a lot to do with Brian Matusz, but he is a convenient scapegoat.

Yeah, Matusz is unquestionably a whipping boy of this team that fell apart at the seams just before the halfway mark ...... the Orioles were 41-34 after 77 games. They went 5-15 over their next 20 games, to fall to 46-49. After that, they managed to get 3 and 5 games above .500 respectively at 2 different points, but then went downhill again immediately after that.

Those collapses don't have a hell of a lot to do with Brian Matusz, but he is a convenient scapegoat.

And 41-34 was after the win on Buck gnome night. We should have a Brian Matusz gnome we can bury in the garden.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Matusz is <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> nominee for Roberto Clemente award</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Please tell me that the recipient of this award receives the prize of a free ride in a DC-7?

Please tell me that the recipient of this award receives the prize of a free ride in a DC-7?

Yes.

And you sir/ma'am, get an expense-paid vacation to the exclusive Bates Motel.

I was one of the posters who chipped in for your getaway, so you can thank me when you get back.

Enjoy.

Sorry, but I agree PLEASE don't tender Matusz again.

There has to be somebody else that can get Ortiz out too.

I have no problem at all with Matusz not being be re-signed with the Orioles for the 2016 season.

However, I don't agree with the insinuation of the OP (that Matusz is largely to blame for the sub-standard season that the 2015 Orioles are having), and I certainly don't agree that he should be given a ride on a DC-7 as a reward should he win the 2015 Roberto Clemente Award.

I have no problem at all with Matusz not being be re-signed with the Orioles for the 2016 season.

However, I don't agree with the insinuation of the OP (that Matusz is largely to blame for the sub-standard season that the 2015 Orioles are having), and I certainly don't agree that he should be given a ride on a DC-7 as a reward should he win the 2015 Roberto Clemente Award.

I agree with all of that I should have been more specific I know Matusz has given big time to charity that's very nice, and I don't agree with the OP assertions that he's the reason for a lousy season. I just think we could do better with the $$$ we spend on Matusz besides a change of scenery may do wonders for him.

Archived