2015 ALDS: Rangers vs. Blue Jays

OFFNY

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

Jake Diekman was a quiet hero in today's game.

He entered the game in the 7th inning with his team ahead by 2 runs.

He retired all 6 batters that he faced ...... 6 up, 6 down.

He also recorded all 6 outs while throwing only 16 pitches ....... 14 for strikes, and only 2 for balls.

Diekman came up big again in the very next game.

This time, he entered in an even more pressurized portion of the contest than the previous one, coming into a tie game in the bottom of the 9th inning.

And once again, he retired all 6 batters that he faced ...... 6 up, 6 down.

Of the 6 outs that he recorded, 2 were via the strikeout, 2 via the groundball, 1 popout, and 1 flyout.

For the series, Diekman had:

6 Innings Pitched

2 Hits

1 Run

0 Walks

5 Strikeouts

1.50 ERA

0.333 WHIP

Pitches: 72 (49 Strikes, 23 Balls)

He faced 19 batters. He recorded 17 outs, while one batter that had reached safely was caught stealing.

I saw a highlight this morning of Joe Carter hitting his walk off homer (and series winner) against the Phillies in 1993. What a contrast. Carter starts running right a way. No bat flip no nothing. Now i get that the game has changed but what that punk did yesterday was about the worst I have ever seen. Worse than anything Bonds ever did. If i was an Astros player I would have tripped him while he was running the bases:)

Another comment: Bautista can't run hard to first, because there's a runner on first who's likely tagging. He actually has to walk slowly. It's up to him whether he wants to do a crazy, emphatic bat flip and stare down the pitcher, of course, but I'll give him a pass since this game was nuts.

I'll also present to you this:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/greatest-bat-flip-compilation-video-jose-bautista

Another comment: Bautista can't run hard to first, because there's a runner on first who's likely tagging. He actually has to walk slowly. It's up to him whether he wants to do a crazy, emphatic bat flip and stare down the pitcher, of course, but I'll give him a pass since this game was nuts.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/greatest-bat-flip-compilation-video-jose-bautista

True.

In the Harvey Haddix game from 1959, the final score was 1-0 instead of 3-0, because on the game-winning home run, the person who hit it (Joe Adcock) passed the runner who was ahead of him (Hank Aaron) on the base-paths.

Fortunately for the Braves, there was another runner ahead of both Aaron and Adcock, and his run (which is the one that counted) scored, enabling the Braves to win by a score of 1-0.

He hit the ball 442 feet. This was a no-doubter. Nobody was tagging up - in fact, the runner on third touched home plate about a second after Bautista finished his show. Everyone knew it was gone, particularly the guy who threw the bat up in the air and stared down the pitcher. There's no way he was worried about passing the runner.

Jog slowly, even stand and watch it for a second, but don't throw the bat like you're delivering a newspaper and don't hoot at the guy on the mound. I would expect nothing more from Bautista, but I'm disappointed at the number of people in the general media approving of this.

He hit the ball 442 feet. This was a no-doubter. Nobody was tagging up - in fact, the runner on third touched home plate about a second after Bautista finished his show. Everyone knew it was gone, particularly the guy who threw the bat up in the air and stared down the pitcher. There's no way he was worried about passing the runner.

Jog slowly, even stand and watch it for a second, but don't throw the bat like you're delivering a newspaper and don't hoot at the guy on the mound. I would expect nothing more from Bautista, but I'm disappointed at the number of people in the general media approving of this.

Oh come on now. He had to make sure that he didnt pass the guy on first. He had to stand there and look at the pitcher just to make sure that ball went over the fence. Dont throw in common sense and try to confuse the issue;)

Archived