2016 Oriole Draft Tracker

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Surprised Palmeiro and Bonilla haven't signed yet. Bonilla must not want to be a pro because at 22-years old, he has no leverage. Either you want to give pro ball or not. As for Palmeiro, not sure what the hold up is here is well. Who knows, maybe he knows he's really a tweener guy and wants to get his degree. Unless he adds magic power like his Dad did in his senior year next year, he will get drafted lower or become a $10,00 senior sign in order to save some draft pool money for some team.

I know they both come from wealthy families so maybe that desire to go into the minors and work their way up isn't appealing.

Surprised Palmeiro and Bonilla haven't signed yet. Bonilla must not want to be a pro because at 22-years old, he has no leverage. Either you want to give pro ball or not. As for Palmeiro, not sure what the hold up is here is well. Who knows, maybe he knows he's really a tweener guy and wants to get his degree. Unless he adds magic power like his Dad did in his senior year next year, he will get drafted lower or become a $10,00 senior sign in order to save some draft pool money for some team.

I know they both come from wealthy families so maybe that desire to go into the minors and work their way up isn't appealing.

I read an in depth article on Raffy that said he isn't doing that well financially. He lost money on some real estate ventures and the depression he had from the steroid fallout left him floundering. I don't know if that's entirely true, but it sounded like the family was not as well off as one would think. Now the Bonilla's that sounds like a whole different story.

Steve Melewski

‏@masnSteve

O's have agreements with 16th rnd LH Willie Rios (for $107,300), rnd 22 P Nick Gruener and rnd 40 P Joe Johnson. 31 in the fold.

Other interesting stuff from Steve today:

---Palmeiro is in town for a physical but not a done deal.

---Blohm not likely signing with the O's

---Signing deadline doesn't apply to Bonilla because he's a 5th year Senior. He can sign up until next year's draft.

https://twitter.com/masnSteve?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Steve Melewski

‏@masnSteve

O's have agreements with 16th rnd LH Willie Rios (for $107,300), rnd 22 P Nick Gruener and rnd 40 P Joe Johnson. 31 in the fold.

Other interesting stuff from Steve today:

---Palmeiro is in town for a physical but not a done deal.

---Blohm not likely signing with the O's

---Signing deadline doesn't apply to Bonilla because he's a 5th year Senior. He can sign up until next year's draft.

https://twitter.com/masnSteve?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Nothing surprising here. If Palmeiro is taking a physical then a deal will get done. Once there was no money left there was no way that Blohm was going to signh and honestly, going to college for him is probably the right move at this juncture. I think he will end up a good one three years from now but it's probably in his best interest to head to College Park for 3 years and see where he's at. As for Bonilla, I'd give him a $10K bonus offer and tell him every week after 15 July it goes down $1K. Either he wants to pitch professionally or not. There's a reason he was 12th round pick and although there's some upside because of the velocity, it doesn't justify giving a 22-year old with no leverage anything more.

Nothing surprising here. If Palmeiro is taking a physical then a deal will get done. Once there was no money left there was no way that Blohm was going to signh and honestly, going to college for him is probably the right move at this juncture. I think he will end up a good one three years from now but it's probably in his best interest to head to College Park for 3 years and see where he's at. As for Bonilla, I'd give him a $10K bonus offer and tell him every week after 15 July it goes down $1K. Either he wants to pitch professionally or not. There's a reason he was 12th round pick and although there's some upside because of the velocity, it doesn't justify giving a 22-year old with no leverage anything more.

I was really holding out for Benjamin Brecht...

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/07/14/draft-update-blohm-will-go-college-palmeiro-unsigned-friday-deadline-looms/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Among those the club will not be signing is 17th round pick Tyler Blohm, a left-handed pitcher from Baltimore-area baseball powerhouse Archbishop Spalding. Blohm will honor his scholarship to the University of Maryland, Rajsich said.

Deadline is at 5PM EST, I hated the old midnight deadline.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Four unsigned in top 10 rds, deadline 5 pm ET Fri: Garrett (Fla/1st), Lodolo (Pit/supp 1st), Palmeiro (Bal/7th), Buffett (Hou/7th) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBDraft">@MLBDraft</a></p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) <a href="

">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And the Orioles have until next draft to sign Bonilla.

• sbauer locked and unlocked this topic

This draft is looking really good so far.  Hays is all the way in Bowie now.  Akin has turned it around in A+.  Myers and Haniffee have had impressive debuts.  Palmeiro is close to an .800 OPS in Delmarva.  Bonilla had a good debut.  Jake Ring has been mashing in Delmarva.  We still haven't seen Torres yet.  

Only Sedlock and Dietz are the letdowns so far.  Wish we would've signed Blohm away from UMD.  

Archived