The Sting of Losing Winnable Games

OFFNY

3 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm not sure, but I do remember losing on three straight walk offs in an August series in Arizona in 2013. 

I looked it up. The Orioles won the game before the Arizona series. O'Day, T.J. MacFarland, and Bud Norris (in relief) got the losses in Arizona. Then the Orioles lost the next game to Colorado, but Wei-Yin Chen started and got the loss. The Orioles won the next night (behind Bud Norris!). So it's still an open question.

I know we won't DFA Trumbum in the first year of his contract but can we please move him to 8th in the order. Too lazy to try to look it up but I gotta believe he is among the league leaders in LOB. He's another DD disaster signing. Hopefully by July next year we can DFA him or find someone to take on a couple million dollars of his salary.

• Downvote 1

I have seen too many throws to nowhere from the outfield. Pitchers not backing up home plate. High pop flies that should be caught between the infielder and outfielders. Have not watched every game but saw three with Hardy and two with Schoop and the outfielders. Also a few times with pitchers not getting over to first base or backing up home plate. Throwing to no one yesterday was interesting. Don't you somewhat have to lead the infielder on the throw so he does not either hit the runner or have the throw make the infielder go onto the runner. I know the catcher sometimes tells the infielder what base to throw too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this adds to the legacy of 2017...Oh the games we lost we should have won and the games we won we should have lost...

These guys do not quit and I like that.  To come back after losing Manny is big.  Any win is big.  This one feels really good.

Mike Wright....Trey Mancini...yea the O's never develop anyone.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2017 at 10:47 PM, webbrick2010 said:

I know we won't DFA Trumbum in the first year of his contract but can we please move him to 8th in the order. Too lazy to try to look it up but I gotta believe he is among the league leaders in LOB. He's another DD disaster signing. Hopefully by July next year we can DFA him or find someone to take on a couple million dollars of his salary.

Does he lead the majors in walkoff wins?

I say we don't DFA him and keep him where he is in the order.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well, this adds to the legacy of 2017...Oh the games we lost we should have won and the games we won we should have lost...

These guys do not quit and I like that.  To come back after losing Manny is big.  Any win is big.  This one feels really good.

Mike Wright....Trey Mancini...yea the O's never develop anyone.

I've said it before... all the people who are so damn eager to dismantle the team as quickly as possible and rebuild for the future:

Teams rebuilding for the future are hoping, praying, and dreaming that their rebuild results in something like we have had the past 5+ years, a team that is in contention every year and makes the playoffs in more than half the years.   They dream at night that maybe their rebuild gives us what we have RIGHT NOW and what we have had for several years.

And the majority of the rebuilds probably won't even reach what we have now.   They will fail.   Some will succeed, and maybe one out of five will actually produce a better run than we have had since the start of 2012.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

That awful loss to the Yankees back in April hurts just a little bit less right now.

o

15 comeback wins vs. 10 losses where we blew a lead at some point in the game.   4 comeback wins in the 9th vs. 2 blown leads in the 9th.   6 walk off wins vs. 3 walk off losses.    9-1 in extra innings.

I like those ratios, as much as the losses have stung.    

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

I've said it before... all the people who are so damn eager to dismantle the team as quickly as possible and rebuild for the future:

Teams rebuilding for the future are hoping, praying, and dreaming that their rebuild results in something like we have had the past 5+ years, a team that is in contention every year and makes the playoffs in more than half the years.   They dream at night that maybe their rebuild gives us what we have RIGHT NOW and what we have had for several years.

And the majority of the rebuilds probably won't even reach what we have now.   They will fail.   Some will succeed, and maybe one out of five will actually produce a better run than we have had since the start of 2012.

Spot on! When this team gets dismantled, we will all be hoping that the new team will be as good as the 2012-2018 version of the O's!

On 6/7/2017 at 11:23 PM, OFFNY said:

o

That awful loss to the Yankees back in April hurts just a little bit less right now.

o

On 6/8/2017 at 2:13 AM, OFFNY said:

o

And right now, Pirates fans must be really stinging.

o

o

And just a reminder, to myself and everyone else that has felt the pain of seeing the Orioles blow seemingly secure leads late in games ...... these kinds of games don't just happen to the Orioles and their fans.

o

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

And just a reminder, to myself and everyone else that has felt the pain of seeing the Orioles blow seemingly secure leads late in games ...... these kinds of games don't just happen to the Orioles and their fans.

o

They actually happen less to us than most teams, though we've allowed a couple of fairly ridiculous comebacks this year.    

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...