We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He got fleeced last year when he gave up Davies for Parra.

Lol.

Sorry, i like davies but parra was a solid of at the time and davirs was and still looks to be a likely #5 starter. Not sure you can get fleeced when thats the case, even if we could use something like that at the moment.

You rarey ever win a deal at deadline. Its just aboit not going overboard.

Lol.

Sorry, i like davies but parra was a solid of at the time and davirs was and still looks to be a likely #5 starter. Not sure you can get fleeced when thats the case, even if we could use something like that at the moment.

He was solid leading up to the deadline but showed obvious signs of regression.

I understand the need for pitching, I really do. But I think I would be a little bummed if that's the deal. But you're probably right. It's a good time to be a seller.
Mancini is blocked at 1B, Wright is a head case, with upside, and Walker is a marginal 1B/DH we don't really need. Sisco has promise, but we can pick up a decent catch and throw guy in FA. Scott is probably a RP and we have a lot of those.

Ervin is:

Durable

Consistent

Solid

Under control for 2 more years + team option

Relatively affordable

We're not getting him without giving up a boatload. And we don't have much. Not to mention we'll then have: Ubaldo, Gallardo and Santana all on the books for next year.

I'll mark this as not happening.

Lol.

Overboard is thinking that the O's were a contending team last year (they weren't, IMHO) and buying high on a player that was ready to regress (Parra) by giving up a part that most likely could have been part of the rotation this year.

I don't like the idea of getting Santana. He's not a rental. He makes 13.5 million a year through 2018 with a 1 million buyout for 2019.

That's a lot of future money owed. Twins would have to eat money or take Ubaldo back for this to make sense.

I like the idea of getting a rental better.

The benefit of him being under control for 2 more years, is we can flip him again in the off-season or next year at the deadline. Starting pitching is always in demand. I'd prefer that we not get a rental because they walk for no value at year's end.

Mancini is blocked at 1B, Wright is a head case, with upside, and Walker is a marginal 1B/DH we don't really need. Sisco has promise, but we can pick up a decent catch and throw guy in FA. Scott is probably a RP and we have a lot of those.

Mancini can also be a cost controllable DH option for the club that can also play 1B in case Davis gets hurt or needs a day off from the field.

People assume health. By doing so and trading away assets, you create huge holes in which Flaherty has to play positions he never should be playing.

The benefit of him being under control for 2 more years, is we can flip him again in the off-season or next year at the deadline. Starting pitching is always in demand. I'd prefer that we not get a rental because they walk for no value at year's end.

Keep in mind even though Santana is affordable, you'll have the following on the books for 2017:

Gallardo: $11m

Ubaldo: $13.5m

Santana: $13.5m

TOTAL: $38m

$38m on a team that already has zippy payroll flexibility and a GM that doesn't do a great job of handling payroll.

Sisco is like a young version of Mauer with his hitting ability and average power. I could see the Twins insisting on him in any deal. I'd hate to give him up, but with pitching at a premium, and Santana a proven, veteran innings eating starter, that's the cost of doing business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this long message all wrote up to say that Cisco is not in Mauer's class and he isn't defensively or on the power side, but Cisco's numbers sans power are pretty darn good. This goes out to anyone who has seen Cisco play a few times; can the guy play an adequate catcher? Compared to Joseph or Matt?

If the Orioles had kept Hader and Davies they would have a pretty decent rotation and would not have needed to sign Ubaldo and lose a pick or sign Gallardo and lose a pick. Who knows, maybe not having Ubaldo would have led to them paying a bit more for Kazmir and not lose a pick. I do not have an issue with what they are giving a way, but I do have an issue with what they are getting back for it. I hate one year rentals.

Keep in mind even though Santana is affordable, you'll have the following on the books for 2017:

Gallardo: $11m

Ubaldo: $13.5m

Santana: $13.5m

TOTAL: $38m

$38m on a team that already has zippy payroll flexibility and a GM that doesn't do a great job of handling payroll.

Plus add in the arb increases for guys we have

Tillman 6.22-10ish

Britton 6.75-10ish

Brach 1.25-3

Worley 2.6-4

O'day-7 million(contract)

Gausman-could be a Super two

Abad-1.25- 2ish

That's 37 million right there. 37 + 38 is 75 million. Can we really afford a 75 million dollar pitching staff next year?

I just don't see how we do that. A rental makes the most sense for us.

Archived