New MLB Top 100 Prospect List-No Orioles, Sisco snubbed

sportsfan8703

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watched Espinoza up close a few days ago -- he's a beast. could have three double-plus offerings when all is said and done (FB/CH/CB). The FB and CH were both plus pitches on Monday evening; CB flashed once or twice -- huge bite and big depth. Peralta's secondaries are probably 1.5 to 2 grades below Espinoza's at this point. ALso, crazy athletic. If he can handle the workload he's going to be a MFer. Like, Cy Young contender kinda MFer.

You get what you pay for on the INT market pretty much.

If Stotle is correct, this seems like a massive one sided deal for the Fathers.

Pomeranz is under control for several years and Espinoza will not be a factor at the major league level for several years. He has no practical value to Boston outside of trade value. I thought the trade was okay. There's risk on both sides.

I wonder where Harvey would have ranked if this list comes out two weeks ago? Top 50?

What's troubling to me about this list is that Sisco is not even our number one prospect, Sedlock is. So Sedlock was taken 26th overall in this recent draft. I'm assuming he's not that close to the top 100. So what is Sisco, like 150 in their eyes?

I wonder where Harvey would have ranked if this list comes out two weeks ago? Top 50?

What's troubling to me about this list is that Sisco is not even our number one prospect, Sedlock is. So Sedlock was taken 26th overall in this recent draft. I'm assuming he's not that close to the top 100. So what is Sisco, like 150 in their eyes?

Well, they have Zach Collins the fourth ranked catcher at no. 97. Considering Sisco is at 7, they would probably have him somewhere between 150 and 200.

Sisco has better numbers at a higher level than some of the guys ranked ahead of him. I think back end of the top 100 is a fair ranking for him. Chance's defense actually has better reviews than some of the guy's ranked above him as well.

I'm surprised Sisco isn't on the list, but it doesn't offend me. Presumably they don't think he can stick at catcher, and that his power won't develop to the point where he is playable at 1B or corner OF. Hopefully they are wrong, but it's not like there aren't issues with Sisco.

I'm surprised Sisco isn't on the list, but it doesn't offend me. Presumably they don't think he can stick at catcher, and that his power won't develop to the point where he is playable at 1B or corner OF. Hopefully they are wrong, but it's not like there aren't issues with Sisco.

Just looking at the scouting reports of the catchers ranked ahead of them, there are serious defensive concerns with three or four of them so I think it's his offensive upside that they do not like.

I still haven't heard much about Sisco's receiving over the last year or two. His surface numbers (fielding percentage, passed balls, etc.) are fine and he is supposed to have a strong enough arm.

Well, as someone astutely pointed out earlier, he's not a Cub so he has that going against him on any such list.

Batting projections aside due to the position, he should be considered a top prospect. It doesn't hurt my feelings either.

Cisco's lack of HR's and questions on defense are hurting him on this list.

Do those catchers actually have better numbers than Cisco? Just curious.

The top three ranked guys are all 23/24 years old, two of them may not stick at catcher.

Collins (#4) was the 10th overall pick in the 2016 draft. Catching skills are rated as "fringy" and could move to first base.

# 5 Mejia is at a lower level, but putting up great numbers and potential to be a plus defender. McGuire (#6) also plays in the Eastern League and is supposed to be a defense first player. Only hitting .262 with one homerun.

Can someone explain to me why the various prospect ranking groups would favor the prospects of one team over another?

Whats the motivation?

Do they think their list would get more page hits if it had five Cubs instead of three?

I just don't get it.

Subconscious bias is a very real factor in the hype industry.

Well, as someone astutely pointed out earlier, he's not a Cub so he has that going against him on any such list.

Batting projections aside due to the position, he should be considered a top prospect. It doesn't hurt my feelings either.

I think one has to look at the others at the bottom of the list and decide if they would rather have Sisco or the player at the bottom of the list. I am pretty familiar with Christian Arroyo who is ranked 96th a small drop from pre-season 82. Arroyo looks to stick in the middle infield with SF, is a couple months younger and is also in AA. Arroyo has dropped because the offensive stats are mildly disappointing though there has been a decent progressive improvement in the numbers and Arroyo is currently in the middle of a fairly hot streak at the plate. Arroyo suffers from some wicked home-away splits with an OPS under 600 at home and over 800 on the road. I am hopeful that Arroyo can finish strong in August and move up a few spots. I don't think Arroyo is way ahead of Sisco (probably less than 20 spots) on this list, but I would rather have him.

I notice the Nats former first round pick Eric Fedde is also on the list in the 90s (92, down from pre-season 78) and am familiar with him. Fedde was drafted injured in 2014 in the first round and might have been a top 10 pick if healthy. He spent last year at lower levels in the minors getting some IP on the way back from surgery. Fedde has had some minor injury issues this year, but has come on strong of late going 49 IP in last 10 appearances with 51 total baserunners and 43 Ks to go with an ERA under 2. Fedde is 23, but seems to retain a lot of his upside as a SP. I would rather have Fedde than Sisco.

I don't think Sisco is far off the top 100 and would probably be in the next 20 names, but I don't see much bias in his ranking as alleged here.

This list is a joke. How is Hunter Renfroe not in the top 10

.321 25 hr @ AAA one of the reasons the Padres moved Kemp.

He is ranked 20 spots lower than Aaron Judge.

Renfro should be higher, but he doesn't walk much and the PCL is an extreme hitter friendly league.

Archived