Let's say BAL, BOS, and TOR all make the playoffs...

Moshagge3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Orioles win the division, who would you prefer to win the Jays-Sox wild card game?

If the Orioles are a wild card team, who would you rather face in the wild card game, Jays or Sox?

How is this even a question? We want to play the Red Sox. Really really badly. Toronto owns us, and we can't win there. We've owned Boston lately, and we play well there (one of the few road parks where we do).

How is this even a question? We want to play the Red Sox. Really really badly. Toronto owns us, and we can't win there. We've owned Boston lately, and we play well there (one of the few road parks where we do).

Yes. Also, Buck will likely want to pitch Tillman in a wild card game and TOR has been especially good against him. I would not want our season to come down to Tillman starting against TOR, even at home.

If the Orioles win the division, who would you prefer to win the Jays-Sox wild card game?

If the Orioles are a wild card team, who would you rather face in the wild card game, Jays or Sox?

Let's see here...

Boston

Offense: 5.5 R/G

Pitching: 4.6 R/G (4.44 ERA starting, 3.88 ERA relieving)

Toronto

Offense: 4.8 R/G

Pitching: 4.1 R/G (3.64 ERA starting, 3.94 ERA relieving)

Toronto's relief corp (oddly enough) has been solid lately. Grilli remembered how to pitch somehow. The Red Sox bullpen has been in shambles.

That said...the Red Sox offense is other-worldly.

Red Sox numbers versus O's: .287/.347/.503 - .850 OPS, at OPACY: .316/.373/.625 - .998 OPS

Jays numbers versus O's: .264/.361/.502 - .863 OPS, at OPACY: .236/.335/.453 - .788 OPS

It's really a coin flip to me. The Red Sox have the best offense in the AL. But their bullpen has been in shambles lately. Their rotation has actually been pretty solid as of late.

So...I think with the O's it's who can they score against? I'd say the Red Sox.

I agree that we'd rather play Boston, but if the 2012 WC game taught us anything, it's that prior history doesn't mean a whole lot in a 1 game playoff. I think we were 2-5 vs. Texas that season, and from what I recall, the Rangers had our number for quite some time in the years before that, also. Sometimes, maybe facing the team that has caused you the most humiliation over the years can provide that extra motivation to end their season. The Red Sox would certainly fit that description, if they had to come to Camden Yards for a winner-take-all game in October. Conversely, the O's could be fired up to face Toronto after getting smacked around by them lately.

The question, questions actually, were very much serious, and I actually thought people might give two different answers. In a series the Red Sox definitely have more cracks that can be exposed, but for a single game? Wright has dominated the O's and I have no confidence they can figure him out. I think the Orioles are capable of handling any of the Jays starters on any particular day.

The question, questions actually, were very much serious, and I actually thought people might give two different answers. In a series the Red Sox definitely have more cracks that can be exposed, but for a single game? Wright has dominated the O's and I have no confidence they can figure him out. I think the Orioles are capable of handling any of the Jays starters on any particular day.

Isn't wright injured? Also he has been vulnerable in the second half.

Not only that, but as difficult as it is to write this sentence, not only would I like our chances over the Sox more, I happen to hate the Jays more and possibly nothing would ruin the season more for me than getting bounced by that team.

Archived