Mancini talk, 2017

weams

1 hour ago, interloper said:

The ball explodes off his bat unlike anyone else on the team except for Manny, when he manages to make contact. He adjusts at the plate, he looks to drive to RF, he has a good eye. He's everything you wanted in Nolan Reimold minus the speed. 

Have you seen Schoop get a hold of one?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, interloper said:

He's everything you wanted in Nolan Reimold minus the speed. 

Not a bad analogy.    If Nolan had stayed healthy he might have been closely analogous.    I'll gladly take less speed and better health.   

On 7/5/2017 at 3:36 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Nice Rookie Season: Trey Mancini has Hit for Average and Power

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/07/nice-rookie-season-trey-mancini-has-hit-for-average-and-power.html

o

o

5 and-a-Half Weeks Later ......

Mancini’s Adjustments at the Plate

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/08/mancinis-adjustments-at-the-plate-beckhams-draft-day-and-more.html

o

o

(vs. MARINERS, 8/14)

NUMBER 21

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

o

On 8/11/2017 at 11:08 AM, interloper said:

The ball explodes off his bat unlike anyone else on the team except for Manny, when he manages to make contact. He adjusts at the plate, he looks to drive to RF, he has a good eye. He's everything you wanted in Nolan Reimold minus the speed. 

I don't know if the ball explodes off Trey's bat any more than it does Machado, Trumbo, Davis, etc., though arguments could be made I suppose.

What really differentiates Mancini is that he has easily the shortest swing on the team.  I've yet to see him "swing around" the ball, like Davis does on pretty much every breaking pitch he actually hits.  Mancini expertly keeps his hands inside the ball, allowing him to keep the same long balls fair that Jones and Schoop frequently hook foul.

While Mancini has an excellent swing, he can take himself to the next level by improving on making contact.  However, he is still a rookie, and that short path he takes to the ball will only behoove him in the contact department.

Though different builds, the last hitter we had with a very powerful and short swing was Tejada in his prime.  

1 hour ago, Catch 8 said:

I don't know if the ball explodes off Trey's bat any more than it does Machado, Trumbo, Davis, etc., though arguments could be made I suppose.

What really differentiates Mancini is that he has easily the shortest swing on the team.  I've yet to see him "swing around" the ball, like Davis does on pretty much every breaking pitch he actually hits.  Mancini expertly keeps his hands inside the ball, allowing him to keep the same long balls fair that Jones and Schoop frequently hook foul.

While Mancini has an excellent swing, he can take himself to the next level by improving on making contact.  However, he is still a rookie, and that short path he takes to the ball will only behoove him in the contact department.

Though different builds, the last hitter we had with a very powerful and short swing was Tejada in his prime.  

This isn't the 80's, if someone is really curious they could look at their exit velocities.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:13 PM, Cumberbundy said:

Mentioned in this article among guys who have lost the most mph per batted ball in the 2nd half. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-miguel-sano-hurt-or-just-struggling/

Mancini was tied for the 15th largest drop in exit velocity, a decrease of 3.8mph from the 1st half of the season.  They mentioned that three players on the list were catchers and that it's not surprising that they should wear down later in the season.  While Trey is on the list, he's not specifically mentioned in the article as it's mostly about Sano.  

I would suggest another group of players, besides catchers, that it's not surprising to find them wearing down late in the season - rookies.  They are not used to playing this number of games, against this level of competition, under this level of pressure.  I'm very pleased that he has continued to make adjustments and have productive games throughout the season.

If they could re-sign Machado and Schoop, this infield could be amongst the leagues best for the next 5 years.  Then add in the controllable, young outfielders that are nearly ML ready and Sisco.  Starting pitching will need to be bolstered, but the fielders look pretty damn good.  I digress, but this team can not go into next season with Manny unsigned long-term.  They have got to sign him or trade him during this off-season.

• 3 weeks later...

o

(vs. MARINERS, 8/30)

NUMBER 23

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPH ANTHONY MANCINI

o