Should we do a qualifying offer to Trumbo and Wieters?

1968_bills_fan

I guess I'm supporting offering QO to both Trumbo and Wieters. I would hope that both of them take it and we could either get some good prospects into the pipeline, or package one of our tradable 1st or 2nd round picks with a surplus picker to get a better corner outfield. Joseph is probably a near zero offensively and Cisco and anyone else, is not ready for the major leagues yet. If Wieters stays, then I look at the extra salary for him as a necessary evil to pay for his bat in the lineup for a year.

Also, we have to consider the possibility that the AL East may be much tougher next year and we might be out of the running before the trade deadline. The Red Sox are young and will be better with another year of experience. The Jays have been underachieving and might come back stronger. Maybe they can get some chemistry. The Yankees have gotten rid of their over-the-hill guys and with their strong farm system have a lot of new good players- they will take more games from us as well. Although I don't like the thought- we might be in a seller's mode and maybe Wieters would have a big value to trade to some contender (who needs an upgrade at catcher or has an injury) so we could get a top notch corner or center field nearly-ready-for-MLB outfielder. (AJ to right). We could have it both ways that way- push for a pennant this next year and have a fall-back plan for a long term improvement of the club.

What happens if one or both accept and the team finds itself so over budget that other players, perhaps as many as three other players, have to be dealt to get back within budget?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What happens if one or both accept and the team finds itself so over budget that other players, perhaps as many as three other players, have to be dealt to get back within budget?

There is no guarantee that you can trade somebody under contract, and you might have to eat some of the cost, to get them to trade with you, which defeats the purpose of trading them away.

You have to be very careful here, not unlike trying to buy a 2nd home, and hoping your first home sales, so you dont have 2 mortgages. :)

MLBTR had this to say:

The other side of the coin for the O’s, though, is that they opened the 2016 season with a franchise-record $147MM payroll and currently project to have an even larger $155MM payroll next season, as Jason Martinez lays out on the Orioles’ payroll page over at Roster Resource. That figure doesn’t include Wieters at all, so penciling him in at an additional $17.2MM would cause the team’s projected payroll to balloon to $172.2MM next season before even addressing any of the other needs that face the Orioles’ roster

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/should-the-orioles-give-matt-wieters-a-qualifying-offer.html

I am going to say yes to the QO for Wieters. I was for it last year (and admittedly surprised that he took it). This year he has even more incentive to decline and pursue a multi-year contract. Even though his season wasn't great, he is the best catcher available and has established that he can still catch after the TJ. At the same time, he is even less of a risk than last year to be worth the $17M if he decides to accept. If he accepts, he is our everyday C, which is still a need, while also perhaps helping at DH.

Trumbo can probably get 4/$80M somewhere to play 1B. Any more than that is probably not realistic. Wieters could get $10M per year. Maybe 2 or 3 years. I think Baltimore would offer him that.

I think Baltimore would too. I really, really hope they don't, but I think it's very possible they will as another PA "special case".

It's called a bridge loan. In this market, you would have few worries. Your first house should fly. Worst case I figure is it would cost us only $10 mill over what we paid Wieters and Trumbo last year. That's chump change in my book. We surpassed that amount DFAing players in 2015.

But is it chump change in Peter Angelos' book? Current 2017 payroll obligations including estimated arbitration awards is at or exceeding $150 million. What do you figure the 2017 budget is?

I simply don't believe any team is going to give up their 1st round draft and throw multiple years of 10M plus at a catcher who put up a 1.7fWAR last year on top of being a poor pitcher farmer and has not had a particularly good year since 2012. Trumbo on the other handle will get paid by someone who can hide him at DH.

I simply don't believe any team is going to give up their 1st round draft and throw multiple years of 10M plus at a catcher who put up a 1.7fWAR last year on top of being a poor pitcher farmer and has not had a particularly good year since 2012. Trumbo on the other handle will get paid by someone who can hide him at DH.

You do realize that 1.0 WAR is worth about 8.5 million per year these days?

Poor pitcher framer, yet, he ended up in top 3 for Catcher's Gold Glove.

His pitching staff gives him a lot of credit for the team's success.

MW is going to get his money, look at the other available options at the Catching position and its clear to see he is far above the others.

A MW extension makes the most sense. Buck loves him. CJ had an historically bad year last year. But, MW's agent is Boras. He's not resigning here unless we're the best offer.

I'm liking Nick Hundley on a 1 year deal and having Sisco waiting in the wings.

Me too. Kurt Suzuki would work as well.

I am going to say yes to the QO for Wieters. I was for it last year (and admittedly surprised that he took it). This year he has even more incentive to decline and pursue a multi

What incentive to decline?

If he gets a QO, I think he says woo hoo I just completed a 2 yr, 34 million dollar deas

he gets to play for Buck, and he can sign a 3/24 type deal for 2018-2021

QO would backfire again. Team needs to get younger cost controlled players and catcher is one position they could certainly do it

I am going to say yes to the QO for Wieters. I was for it last year (and admittedly surprised that he took it). This year he has even more incentive to decline and pursue a multi

What incentive to decline?

If he gets a QO, I think he says woo hoo I just completed a 2 yr, 34 million dollar deas

he gets to play for Buck, and he can sign a 3/24 type deal for 2018-2021

QO would backfire again. Team needs to get younger cost controlled players and catcher is one position they could certainly do it

I am not opposed to this, but I dont have warm fuzzies that Caleb will bounce back to his previous form, and not be the same next season, as we had this season.

There are no quality FA available, so the only way to get younger is going with what we have.

Sisco is unproven and probably needs some more seasoning at AAA, and it remains to be seen, if he can catch at the major league level.

The catcher position is too critical and I dont want this to be a repeat of the 2008 and their SS fiasco.

Archived