vs. WHITE SOX, 6/15

OFFNY

Just now, eddie83 said:

Our bullpen right now sucks. 

This isn't a playoff game. 

Right now the might as well be playoff games. If they don't turn it around in the next week or so, with the trade deadline approaching, it's over.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

How does a re tool sound? Kind of like the Ravens have done in the past

An idea that [I think] sportsfan8703 came up with, that I like and agree with, would be to deal Britton to the Nats for Joe Ross.   A good young starter (though not having a great year) under team control through 2022.   Assuming of course Britton comes back in July and proves he is still Britton.

That is a deal that helps us long term that MIGHT in fact improve the team the rest of this year as well.

10 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Some decent/cheap options for starting pitching this past offseason: Andrew Cashner, Doug Fister, Jason Hammel, Ivan Nova, Colby Lewis (still unsigned I think?), Edinson Volquez, etc.

Cashner: $10 million

Hammel: 2 years/$16 million

Nova: 3 years/$24 million

Volquez: 2 years/$22 million

None of those deals are cheap, and the O's budget is probably maxed out, or very close to it, right now.

Lewis does remain a FA. Fister got an incentive-laden deal from the Angels, no guarantees. Just looking to rebuild his value, and the AL East is a bad place to do that.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

An idea that [I think] sportsfan8703 came up with, that I like and agree with, would be to deal Britton to the Nats for Joe Ross.   A good young starter (though not having a great year) under team control through 2022.   Assuming of course Britton comes back in July and proves he is still Britton.

That is a deal that helps us long term that MIGHT in fact improve the team the rest of this year as well.

Just Joe Ross? Really? Why are we undervaluing a healthy Zach Britton so much?

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

How does a re tool sound? Kind of like the Ravens have done in the past

By the way, someone (ESPN I think but I'm not sure, I check out a lot of sports sites now and again) ranked the 25 post-Super Bowl championship offseasons in the salary cap era.   The Ravens offseason following the 2012 Super Bowl was rated the worst of the bunch, and our offseason following the 2001 championship was rated about the 6th worst.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

Just Joe Ross? Really? Why are we undervaluing a healthy Zach Britton so much?

1.5 years of Britton vs 5.5 years of Joe Ross, first of all.

A young, controllable starting pitcher who I happen to think is pretty good.

But I certainly wouldn't mind asking for more.   :D

Just now, SteveA said:

I'd see about trading someone. I think Britton is going to be moved next year if we suck. BP market is going to be ridiculous this year, and Britton has missed a lot of time. Honestly, I'd see what we can do in FA. We have $25-$40 million coming off the payroll. 

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

By the way, someone (ESPN I think but I'm not sure, I check out a lot of sports sites now and again) ranked the 25 post-Super Bowl championship offseasons in the salary cap era.   The Ravens offseason following the 2012 Super Bowl was rated the worst of the bunch, and our offseason following the 2001 championship was rated about the 6th worst.

Payroll flexability. We had that in 2016, and we'll have it this year 

Archived