Buck's managing with a little urgency right now

Frobby

Sunday: throws Brach for 2 innings.

Tuesday: Brings Rickard in to pinch run for Kim in the top of the sixth.   Yanks Gausman with one out in the bottom of the sixth even though he hasn't allowed a run.    Goes Givens/O'Day/Brach for 3.2 IP.   

Buck usually would not have made these moves, but I think he realizes that if the team doesn't win a lot of games in the next 30 days, he won't need to worry about whether his top bullpen guys are tired in August and September.    Of course, having the day off yesterday gave him some flexibility, and I'm sure he knows that he can back off Givens, O'Day and Brach a little once Britton returns next week.    

I think it had more to do with he wanted Gausman to end on a high note and help his confidence more.  He gives up a homer in the that spot and all the sudden his line doesn't look that good 5 and a third and 3ER  is not really a good start line wise. 

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sunday: throws Brach for 2 innings.

Tuesday: Brings Rickard in to pinch run for Kim in the top of the sixth.   Yanks Gausman with one out in the bottom of the sixth even though he hasn't allowed a run.    Goes Givens/O'Day/Brach for 3.2 IP.   

Buck usually would not have made these moves, but I think he realizes that if the team doesn't win a lot of games in the next 30 days, he won't need to worry about whether his top bullpen guys are tired in August and September.    Of course, having the day off yesterday gave him some flexibility, and I'm sure he hopes that he can back off Givens, O'Day and Brach a little if Britton returns to form next week.    

FTFY

Agreed and Givens gave me some angst-ridden minutes but when Kendrys went for the high heat, I was relieved.  A shutout would have been nice but that is only icing....

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

FTFY

Agreed and Givens gave me some angst-ridden minutes but when Kendrys went for the high heat, I was relieved.  A shutout would have been nice but that is only icing....

I blame Gary Thorne for talking as if the game was already over.    That home run was karmic payback.   I'm just glad it stopped there.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I blame Gary Thorne for talking as if the game was already over.    That home run was karmic payback.   I'm just glad it stopped there.   

Yeah he was making me angry also and agree.  Bordy is warming and when he went to the high heat as "Jenny Finching" I was amazed!  O'Day was really locked in and loved the matchup with Joey Bats - must see tv!

I think we've all been asking for this for a long time, but we, as fans, tend to be much more short sighted than a big-picture guy like Buck. Frobby, you nailed it. If he doesn't win now, winning later won't matter. So we may see some more maneuvering like this for a while. Or it could be that he's not afraid to ride his bullpen into the AS break, knowing that his crown jewel is making his triumphant return when play resumes. Adding another quality arm will make things much easier.

57 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I think we've all been asking for this for a long time, but we, as fans, tend to be much more short sighted than a big-picture guy like Buck. Frobby, you nailed it. If he doesn't win now, winning later won't matter. So we may see some more maneuvering like this for a while. Or it could be that he's not afraid to ride his bullpen into the AS break, knowing that his crown jewel is making his triumphant return when play resumes. Adding another quality arm will make things much easier.

We might even see him pitch his closer in a tie game on the road...

I do like that Buck is not being so laid back. He's been aggressive in games where we have been winning. Getting Britton back will only help.

It really might help the pitches to know that they only have to go out there for 5IP and turn it over to the pen if we have a lead. Plus it puts everyone back in their roles. With Britton at closer we will have Givens, Brach, O'day as set up guys. Bleier and Hart as LOOGY's. Asher can be in the TJ Mac role of coming in when we're down and holding the other team down. 

I think we're going to see more Janish at SS because he's the more steady defender, and we are going to see Pedro Alvarez get called up. His bat has heated up and the ball is starting to fly in OPACY. 

I'm glad to see Buck being more aggressive. Win the winnable games while he can. He's done a good job of managing Brach and Givens' appearances given the horrible starting pitching. Time to use them to win the ones he can win. 

Archived