Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, jcarm said:

I am confused as to why someone would say he is old for his level.  He just turned 22 on 4/30/18! That is not old for High A.

Well there's a difference between being "old for a level" and being "old for a prospect for a level".  I'd agree that 22 isn't old for Frederick - according to BBRef he's about 1.1 years younger than the rest of the league - but you have to remember that lot of the league is made up of older guys that aren't really prospects that skew that number.

I think maybe a better word than "old" would have been "advanced".  High pick college guys should be pretty polished and thus should have more success in A and A+ ball, so I think that's what the questioner really was getting at.

17 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Well there's a difference between being "old for a level" and being "old for a prospect for a level".  I'd agree that 22 isn't old for Frederick - according to BBRef he's about 1.1 years younger than the rest of the league - but you have to remember that lot of the league is made up of older guys that aren't really prospects that skew that number.

I think maybe a better word than "old" would have been "advanced".  High pick college guys should be pretty polished and thus should have more success in A and A+ ball, so I think that's what the questioner really was getting at.

Really he is not old for a prospect at that level. If he goes to AA next year, he would likely make his MLB debut sometime in 2020. 24 years old for a rookie is about what I would expect for a well regarded draft pick out of a 4 year college who was drafted and signed after his Junior year. He very well might make his MLB debut next year.

Edited by jcarm
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jcarm said:

Really he is not old for a prospect at that level. If he goes to AA next year, he would likely make his MLB debut sometime in 2020. 24 years old for a rookie is about what I would expect for a well regarded draft pick out of a 4 year college who was drafted and signed after his Junior year. He very well might make his MLB debut next year.

Sure, I don't disagree with that.  Like I said, I think "advanced" would have been a better word than "old".

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, and I'll add it's important to note with Lowther, he's not only at A+ because of performance. The Orioles just haven't been aggressive with him for one reason or another. He's arguably performed better than any other 2017 college pick.

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Let’s say Lowther was thrown into the 2018 draft knowing all we do now, would he have gone in the top 45 or is the lack of velocity something that keeps him around 75? 

You could make a legitimate argument for him being similar to a guy like Singer. Singer was 91-94 most starts,  Lowther is below that, but he’s t94 and he’s a lefty. Plus Singer is doing that on a weekly schedule, rather than a pro workload. Singer and Lowther have comparable breaking balls in that the pitches are more about feel and location than sharp break. Lowther is more deceptive and misses more bats but is less projectable. 

I think Lowther is a 50 FV, and by my assessment, there were only 8 guys who are 55 FV in this draft and no 60 FVs. I had about 40 guys at 50 FV or higher so yeah, I think top 45.

• Upvote 2