O's v MIL 7/3

El Gordo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Telll me if I'm wrong, but don't baseball fundamentals dictate you run the runner caught in a rundown back to the base he came from in case a tag is miss or is late? What the heck was that? If you do it right, he just runs out of room. 

It was a poor play by the pitcher. I am still trying to fathom what just happened.  

2 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

Oh no, you are absolutely correct. That was terrible by the O's. The 3rd base coach and 3rd base umpire didn't help, but Yacabonis should have run him back to third.

If I was Buck I would have been tossed. 

7 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

Oh no, you are absolutely correct. That was terrible by the O's. The 3rd base coach and 3rd base umpire didn't help, but Yacabonis should have run him back to third.

Except Manny was madly gesturing for the ball to be thrown to him, which the rookie pitcher did. 

Just now, NashLumber said:

Dang. Looking at it again, looks like the ump AND the 3B coach were in the way. Not to mention the runner being about five feet outside of the base path. But doesn't excuse the keystone cops rundown exercise. 

I don't get why Buck didn't argue that point. 

It was pathetic on 40 different levels.  

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don't get why Buck didn't argue that point. 

It was pathetic on 40 different levels.  

Not sure why this came to mind, maybe the Keystone Cops aspect, but it's like one of those crazy World Series plays where so much goes wrong. Elrod attempts to tag out a Reds baserunner at home after a Baltimore Chop richochets high at home plate. The ump's back is to the play and he calls the runner out anyway. And of course, the replay shows Elrod with the ball in his hand while making the tag with his mitt. Lucky call, but pure nuts with all the moving parts and the comedy of errors.  

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

Not sure why this came to mind, maybe the Keystone Cops aspect, but it's like one of those crazy World Series plays where so much goes wrong. Elrod attempts to tag out a Reds baserunner at home after a Baltimore Chop richochets high at home plate. The ump's back is to the play and he calls the runner out anyway. And of course, the replay shows Elrod with the ball in his hand while making the tag with his mitt. Lucky call, but pure nuts with all the moving parts and the comedy of errors.  

Remember when Wieters missed the tag on Ichiro in the ALDS in 2012?

Maybe Buck was too embarrassed but he has to ask the umps about the baseline.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

Remember when Wieters missed the tag on Ichiro in the ALDS in 2012?

Maybe Buck was too embarrassed but he has to ask the umps about the baseline.  

That one escapes my memory. I remember Mark Reynolds doing a long stretch or perhaps almost a dive at 1B to grab a throw and Teixeira was probably out and they called it safe. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ok, yeah. I do remember seeing that. I was very distracted during that playoff series. I either had a gig or a rehearsal during every game. In game 5, I was watching the TV screen while trying to play guitar. My main memory of that was the potential HR that went over the pole that was called foul. Game two that you show here, was another rehearsal night. Since that year, I have made a practice not to book shows that are offered in October. But we were told NIck Lowe could possibly sit in with us, so I made an exception.  

3 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Ok, yeah. I do remember seeing that. I was very distracted during that playoff series. I either had a gig or a rehearsal during every game. In game 5, I was watching the TV screen while trying to play guitar. My main memory of that was the potential HR that went over the pole that was called foul. Game two that you show here, was another rehearsal night. Since that year, I have made a practice not to book shows that are offered in October. But we were told NIck Lowe could possibly sit in with us, so I made an exception.  

October should be free this year.  

Archived