Would You Do Trey Mancini For Sonny Gray?

ELMERO

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would trade Mancini for Gray, but there is no way the A's do it without adding someone more significant to the package. You would probably have to offer Mancini, Mountcastle and Scott/Akin and still not sure that's enough.

Gray is not the way I would go about it.

TOR starters next year are Bundy and Gausman.

The O's need to get a major league ready starter in a Britton Trade.   Either at the deadline or this off season.

Tillman is brought back on an incentive contract that allows him to be DFA if he does not do well.  He may need some time in the minors during the season.

Bleier, Asher, Long and Akin all should be stretched out in ST as starters.   They all have options next year.  Akin is probably a 2nd half starter call up prospect.  

That's 8.  The O's need to find two more starters this off season( besides the Britton trade addition) to add to the mix.

Dan was creative in acquiring Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, and Norris.  He needs to do that again.  I am not really looking for the O's to spend 10m/yr plus on new starters.   No more past their  prime  guys  like the Jimenez, Miley, Gallardo acquisitions.

Long term the new starters are Harvey, Akin, Sedlock and Hall.

24 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I wouldn't trade Mancini at all...for almost anyone available.This kid is going to be special...look at his swing...Id buy the arms and keep the young bats...

Yea his swing is actually pretty amazing.  He keeps his hands inside the ball better than anyone I've seen in a long while. 

I would not trade Mancini. But then again, I would absolutely not have signed Chris Davis to anything like the contract that he was signed to. But I digress. Sonny Gray is a time bomb, albeit a talented one. The risk of his imploding is way too high for me to take a big risk on. 

I just wish this management group would wake up and smell the coffee. This season is lost, and moves have to be made to rebuild the system and preferably with some good young arms. FA pitching will always be hard to attract to OPACY. No real good pitcher wants to pitch half of his games in this band box. If you want to throw money at guys like Ubaldo, those guys will come here. We have to get a deep stockpile of young, talented arms in our minor league system and hit on a couple of them.

8 minutes ago, joeyc said:

NO WAY. MANCINI IS UNTOUCHABLE, PERIOD.

What if he could bring a MLB pitcher of equal quality who is controllable?  Not saying he could currently (not enough of a body of work to make other teams believe yet).  We are paying Chris Davis until 2022, most of our best position prospects are outfielders (who are better defensively than Mancini), keeping Mancini might not be the best use of our assets.

I'd suggest if he continues to play well next season, he'll have a lot of value as a cheap controllable power bat who can at least fake it in the outfield.  Then we would be wise to flip him as the centerpiece of a deal for a controllable young starter.  If we are contending it could be a guy like gray who has a couple years of control left.  If we are selling, then trade him for a high level pitching prospect who is near the majors. There is a good chance by then Mullins or Hays will be ready and can step into the outfield situation and immediately be a defensive upgrade.

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I wouldn't trade Mancini at all...for almost anyone available.This kid is going to be special...look at his swing...Id buy the arms and keep the young bats...

This^.

13 hours ago, billw76 said:

I would trade Mancini for Gray, but there is no way the A's do it without adding someone more significant to the package. You would probably have to offer Mancini, Mountcastle and Scott/Akin and still not sure that's enough.

I would trade Trey for Gray in a heartbeat. Even if the A's would do it Angelos and DD wouldn't. 

Whether I'd trade Mancini for Gray would depend on what I'm trying to to.    If I'm trying for a deep playoff run next year, I'd do the trade.    But Gray is only under control for two more years after this one, so if I'm thinking longer term, I keep Mancini.   

Archived