Santander

OriolesMagic83

One more... Rich Coggins.  Hit .319 in 110 games in 1973.  The next year he hit .243 in 113 games and then after that he never made it in to more than 64 games in a season.  

Coggins did manage to play in 78 more games than Jim Traber did though.   

3 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

One more... Rich Coggins.  Hit .319 in 110 games in 1973.  The next year he hit .243 in 113 games and then after that he never made it in to more than 64 games in a season.  

He and Bumbry were quite the exciting duo in ‘73.    

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Ultimately, in terms of O's history, the important thing about Coggins is that we were able to trade him and a near-finished Dave McNally to the Expos for KEN SINGLETON and MIKE TORREZ!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I remember that... there was a Baseball Digest article about them being the outfield of the future for the O's.  

In a way they were right: Bumbry became our CF for twelve years and Coggins was part of the package that helped bring Ken Singleton to the O's.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, Gofannon said:

Two others, and then we can return to Santander (address unknown):

Chito Martinez - .321/.361/.599 through his first 40 games in 1991; 

Curtis Goodwin - .363 BA, .408 OBP and 16 stolen bases in his first 37 games in 1995.

Reality took a little longer with Chito than with Curtis Goodwin.

I remember Godwin’s start well. An amazing first month or so. 

16 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Coggins and Bumbry came up together and started the season somewhat similarly.  But if my memory is right, it didn't take long to see the Bee was the far better player.  

It is strange Santander's only had middling stats at Norfolk the last two years but has found his stroke in Baltimore. Oh well. His name will keep getting put in the lineup since his defense has been a plus so far too. 

1 hour ago, O-The-Memories said:

To be fair, Matos did have one really good year. If Santander can ever have that level of success over the course of a full season you would have to be encouraged.

Yeah, Matos had a 4 rWAR season over 486 plate appearances. He definitely shouldn't be in the Curtis Goodwin, Jim Traber, David Newhan conversation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It took about a year.  Both had very strong rookie seasons.  Both, without checking, had sophomore slumps but Coggins was worse and never recovered.  Those 73-74 O's were fun teams.  They stole bases and didn't rely on the three run homer.  Weaver showed he adapted to his team's talent.  IIRC, Coggins platooned with Rettenmund in RF, Baylor and Bumbry in LF, and Blair still in CF.  Can that be right?

My memory was off.  For some reason, I thought Coggins tailed off badly after a really good start, but he was very good the whole season.  Wow, he's 68 years old now - hard to believe it was that long ago.  Yeah, 1973 was a fun team - with Bumbry and Coggins running around, and Grich and Baylor and the old guys slowing down but still getting it done.. Tommy Davis was the DH..  Even Earl Williams at catcher - not much of a catcher, but he hit ok that year., while Davey Johnson somehow hit 43 homers for Atlanta.  Davey probably figured out that launch angle stuff before it was ever a thing.    

o

This was Santander's 1st home run since July 24th.

(vs. YANKEES, 8/06)

NUMBER 9

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER

o