Stanton to the Yankees

NCRaven

16 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

They are currently at 151 M. That's including Castro , Headley and others who could be in the  trade. So I think they will still be under.

"The Yankees have made it clear that they plan on trying to get below the luxury tax threshold in 2018, and while the acquisition of Stanton would seem to run contrary to that objective, making the two work in tandem could be easier than it would initially appear. Luxury tax implications are based on the average annual value of guaranteed contracts, and Stanton’s figure towards the threshold is based off of his entire contract with the Marlins. Since that deal was for 13 years and $325MM, Stanton luxury tax contribution will be $22MM annually. The average annual value of Castro’s contract is $8.6MM, and the Yankees will get another $3MM of relief due to the $30MM the Marlins are conditionally including in the deal. All told, then, the Stanton trade will only add about $10.4MM to the Yankees payroll in 2018 for luxury tax purposes." https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Who will replace Castro in New York ??? Did he only have one year left on his contract ??? I want Lance Lynn or Alex Cobb now that the Yankees got Stanton. Get us some real pitching, Dan !!!

o

Castro could very well be headed back to New York:

Mets Will Call Marlins about Starlin Castro: Source

(By Kristie Ackert)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-call-marlins-starlin-castro-source-article-1.3687827

o

No one has thought to ask the really important question here:   What will John Sterling's trademark home run call for Stanton be?

"An A-Bomb for A-Rod!"

"A Grandy for Granderson".

"Yes in-Didi!!!"

"Headley is deadly"

"Yes, McCann can!"

Or, the most horrifying, when Ji Man Choi hit one of his few HRs as a Yankee and I happened to be listening while driving down I-87 in New York:  "Ji Man is a He-Man, Oh Boy, Oh Choi!"

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

So do I.    We’re about to enter a lengthy period where it simply won’t be realistic to think we can finish ahead of the Yankees and probably the Red Sox.   The best we can probably hope for is to be like the Blue Jay teams of the 2000’s that were a bit above average but a distant third place team most of the time, except now the second wild card allows those teams to hope for a playoff spot.   

I agree.

Maybe, just maybe, we can compete if we can find some pitching.  If guys like Harvey, Tanner Scott and Sedlock come up and assert themselves, if Gausman can pitch a whole season like he does in the 2nd half, etc. 

I don't confuse making trades and signings with making progress, but I always hate the our offseasons because things take forever to happen.  IMO, its a sign of not being prepared and having a plan.

Meanwhile, the Yankees go out and get a slugger they don't really need who can hit 60 homers and win an MVP,  simply just because they can.  We'll be looking at table scraps come late January, early February like we always do.

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No one has thought to ask the really important question here:   What will John Sterling's trademark home run call for Stanton be?

"An A-Bomb for A-Rod!"

"A Grandy for Granderson".

"Yes in-Didi!!!"

"Headley is deadly"

"Yes, McCann can!"

Or, the most horrifying, when Ji Man Choi hit one of his few HRs as a Yankee and I happened to be listening while driving down I-87 in New York:  "Ji Man is a He-Man, Oh Boy, Oh Choi!"

Tough one. Stanton shoots his cannon?

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.

Maybe, just maybe, we can compete if we can find some pitching.  If guys like Harvey, Tanner Scott and Sedlock come up and assert themselves, if Gausman can pitch a whole season like he does in the 2nd half, etc. 

I don't confuse making trades and signings with making progress, but I always hate the our offseasons because things take forever to happen.  IMO, its a sign of not being prepared and having a plan.

Meanwhile, the Yankees go out and get a slugger they don't really need who can hit 60 homers and win an MVP,  simply just because they can.  We'll be looking at table scraps come late January, early February like we always do.

We couldn't get Stanton simply because he wouldn't approve the trade.

13 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

We couldn't get Stanton simply because he wouldn't approve the trade.

Well I know, but it's not like we're doing anything to trade Machado and get back a good package to help set us up for the next 5-10 years.  Or do anything to sign him and say that this is the guy we want to build around.  All signs point to him walking at the end of next year and all we get back is a draft pick.  Honestly at this point I don't care what they decided to do with him, JUST DO SOMETHING.  Be decisive.  

No sign of us doing anything to get rid of Davis, Trumbo, we'll be stuck with those guys for the duration of their contracts like we had to endure with Ubaldo.

We are, in all likelihood, headed for a dark time.  It sucks to see the Yankees get Stanton, but it sucks even more to just throw up our hands and think there's nothing we can do.  We can fight back, we don't have to roll over for these guys.  We're not exactly in the poor house, we can spend some money but we can't spend it wastefully.  We need to have a defined plan, have to execute on it and have very little room for errors in scouting and development and trades.

I'm not pissed about not being all in on someone like Otani or getting someone like Stanton, those are things we just don't do.  I'm pissed that the things that we DO do, we're not good at.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well I know, but it's not like we're doing anything to trade Machado and get back a good package to help set us up for the next 5-10 years.  Or do anything to sign him and say that this is the guy we want to build around.

No sign of us doing anything to get rid of Davis, Trumbo, we'll be stuck with those guys for the duration of their contracts like we had to endure with Ubaldo.

We are, in all likelihood, headed for a dark time.  It sucks to see the Yankees get Stanton, but it sucks even more to just throw up our hands and think there's nothing we can do.  We can fight back, we don't have to roll over for these guys.  We're not exactly in the poor house, we can spend some money but we can't spend it wastefully.  We need to have a defined plan, have to execute on it and have very little room for errors in scouting and development and trades.

I'm not pissed about not being all in on someone like Otani or getting someone like Stanton, those are things we just don't do.  I'm pissed that the things that we DO do, we're not good at.  

You need to find another team. Why make yourself miserable?

Archived