Only two more weeks...

Ohfan67

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, canonfaz said:

I'm guessing they sign Darvish, Lynn, and Tillman tomorrow.

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

You won't hear anyone complain if that's the case. 

If that miracle happened you’d have someone reason that if they could afford Darvish and Lynn, no reason they couldn’t have signed Cobb or Arrieta as well. 

It might be me. ?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dan said at Fanfest that he had a “soft deadline” of March 1 to get some pitchers.    So prepare for another month of sitting around waiting for something to happen.   

Was anybody else worried when they heard this? There's a reason pitchers report to Spring Training before everyone else, right? If they aren't signed until March 1 doesn't defeat the whole purpose of pitchers and catchers reporting early?

Just now, Frobby said:

Dan said at Fanfest that he had a “soft deadline” of March 1 to get some pitchers.    So prepare for another month of sitting around waiting for something to happen.   

Darvish is really holding up the market, in my opinion. The Brewers and Twins seem focused on signing a big-ticket starting pitcher - - with both having a preference for Darvish. It seems clear that if they miss out on Darvish, they'll sign one of the other big name pitchers: Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb.

Darvish's market seems further complicated by his personal preference to sign with the Dodgers. The Dodgers, on their part, seem interested - but have to clear some payroll space first: meaning Matt Kemp. The Cubs also seem interested in Darvish, with Cobb being a Plan B if they don't sign Darvish. Cobb seems like he'd prefer to sign with the Cubs if they money is right - so he's clearly going to wait until Darvish has signed to make a decision for where he himself will sign.

Then, you have pitchers like Vargas, Tillman, Cashner, and Garcia who are waiting for Darvish to sign because their offers will go way up once teams miss out on the 'Big Four' FA Pitchers. Even Tillman, with an offer from the O's with incentives, would be a fool not to wait until Darvish signs and see if the Twins or Brewers, for example, offer something better.

Basically, at some point, Darvish will have to make a decision. As soon as he signs, I think you'll see the rest of the pitchers sign, too.

Right now, on January 31st, I think Darvish and all interested MLB teams are still comfortable waiting it out a bit more. But, at a certain point, someone will get antsy and moves will start to happen. Mid February is my guess. 

So, let's not fault the Orioles and DD for doing nothing this offseason. There's been a few big trades for positional players - but nothing has really happened in regard to starting pitching, besides what, Tyler Chatwood? Even if the O's were willing to go four or five years for a pitcher - I still don't think any of the free agent starting pitchers would have signed yet because Darvish is jamming up the entire market.

15 minutes ago, theocean said:

Darvish is really holding up the market, in my opinion. The Brewers and Twins seem focused on signing a big-ticket starting pitcher - - with both having a preference for Darvish. It seems clear that if they miss out on Darvish, they'll sign one of the other big name pitchers: Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb.

Darvish's market seems further complicated by his personal preference to sign with the Dodgers. The Dodgers, on their part, seem interested - but have to clear some payroll space first: meaning Matt Kemp. The Cubs also seem interested in Darvish, with Cobb being a Plan B if they don't sign Darvish. Cobb seems like he'd prefer to sign with the Cubs if they money is right - so he's clearly going to wait until Darvish has signed to make a decision for where he himself will sign.

Then, you have pitchers like Vargas, Tillman, Cashner, and Garcia who are waiting for Darvish to sign because their offers will go way up once teams miss out on the 'Big Four' FA Pitchers. Even Tillman, with an offer from the O's with incentives, would be a fool not to wait until Darvish signs and see if the Twins or Brewers, for example, offer something better.

Basically, at some point, Darvish will have to make a decision. As soon as he signs, I think you'll see the rest of the pitchers sign, too.

Right now, on January 31st, I think Darvish and all interested MLB teams are still comfortable waiting it out a bit more. But, at a certain point, someone will get antsy and moves will start to happen. Mid February is my guess. 

So, let's not fault the Orioles and DD for doing nothing this offseason. There's been a few big trades for positional players - but nothing has really happened in regard to starting pitching, besides what, Tyler Chatwood? Even if the O's were willing to go four or five years for a pitcher - I still don't think any of the free agent starting pitchers would have signed yet because Darvish is jamming up the entire market.

One thing we can be sure of Arrieta the Boras client will be the last to sign.

25 minutes ago, theocean said:

I don't see why DD couldn't be preactive and sign Cobb or Lynn. Why does he have to wait? Why wait till all that's left are low tier pitchers?

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't see why DD couldn't be preactive and sign Cobb or Lynn. Why does he have to wait? Why wait till all that's left are low tier pitchers?

As was pointed out quite well in the post you quoted, Cobb and Lynn are understandably waiting until Darvish signs, as the teams that miss out on Darvish are quite likely to turn their attentions to Cobb and Lynn.  The demand for and price of their services will quite naturally rise at that point.  They don't have a strong motivation to sign now, before it is known what teams miss out on Darvish.  It isn't so much that DD and other GMs are waiting, it is that Cobb, Lynn, and other SPs are.

10 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Because Cobb and Lynn require more than 3 years, and that's an automatic "no dice" from PA. It's a stated organizational philosophy, like trading international bonus slots.

10 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

The Orioles aren't going to go 4-years and neither Cobb or Lynn are signing for less. Both Cobb and Lynn are waiting for Darvish to sign because once that happens, their markets becomes more crowded. Even if the Orioles offer a fair (or even more than fair) deal, why would Cobb or Lynn sign if come next week, Darvish signs and the Cubs, Brewers and Twins all come calling to one of them as Plan B. That could help drive his market up.

Archived