.555 OPS vs RHP

Aglets

Hey guys, I think I found our problem!  With the offense at least.

Believe it or not our entire team has a .555 OPS against Right-handers at the moment.  Legitimately comically bad.    On the bright side we are mashing against lefties (.850).........but I think I heard once that a lot of players in MLB are right-handed.  I'm guessing this is going to balance out.    Last year we hit .753 vs LHP and .745 vs RHP just for a baseline comparison.

14 minutes ago, esmd said:

It's amazing how this team has the ability for all of its best hitters to slump all at the same time.  Davis, Jones, Machado, Schoop, etc., are all ice cold.  Smh.

Manny’s not ice cold.   

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

Chance should be playing more.  

In a perfect world, we could keep three catchers and he could DH a couple times a week. But as we know we have several one dimensional players and one player who is "zero dimensional"

2 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

In a perfect world, we could keep three catchers and he could DH a couple times a week. But as we know we have several one dimensional players and one player who is "zero dimensional"

I'd DH him once or twice a week anyway.  What are the odds that Joseph will get hurt and they'll lose the DH for a few innings and that'll come back to bite them?  I think it's worth the risk to get Sisco more ABs.

I remember the debacle of Sam Perlozzo carrying a 3rd no-hit catcher as an in-case-of-emergency-break-glass insurance policy when he was DH'ing Javy Lopez.  Who was that... Robert Machado or Keith Osik or something?  Basically never played so they ended up most games essentially having a 24-man roster.

32 minutes ago, esmd said:

It's amazing how this team has the ability for all of its best hitters to slump all at the same time.  Davis, Jones, Machado, Schoop, etc., are all ice cold.  Smh.

Wait, I have the perfect idea to help our offense: Let's put Davis at lead off! This way we have our best hitter get the most at bats on our team.  

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Hey guys, I think I found our problem!  With the offense at least.

Believe it or not our entire team has a .555 OPS against Right-handers at the moment.  Legitimately comically bad.    On the bright side we are mashing against lefties (.850).........but I think I heard once that a lot of players in MLB are right-handed.  I'm guessing this is going to balance out.    Last year we hit .753 vs LHP and .745 vs RHP just for a baseline comparison.

Removing Davis and Rasmus permanently from the lineup will improve OPS

43 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd DH him once or twice a week anyway.  What are the odds that Joseph will get hurt and they'll lose the DH for a few innings and that'll come back to bite them?  I think it's worth the risk to get Sisco more ABs.

I remember the debacle of Sam Perlozzo carrying a 3rd no-hit catcher as an in-case-of-emergency-break-glass insurance policy when he was DH'ing Javy Lopez.  Who was that... Robert Machado or Keith Osik or something?  Basically never played so they ended up most games essentially having a 24-man roster.

Exactly. I've never understood the concern of this situation. Seriously, what is the percentage of time a catcher has gotten hurt and had to come out of a game? I'll take my .... Chances....    See what I did there?

But in that scenario aren't you basically saying that you think Sisco will do better vs a RHP than Pedro?   or do better vs a LHP than Valencia?

I like Chance quite a bit but I'm not sure I'd say he's better than those guys in those situations.

Offense is down across baseball. Is it merely the weather or did they go back to the unjuiced balls?

And, yeah, Sisco should DH once or twice a week. Leave it to this team to give less ABs to one of their only on base guys.

20 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Offense is down across baseball. Is it merely the weather or did they go back to the unjuiced balls?

And, yeah, Sisco should DH once or twice a week. Leave it to this team to give less ABs to one of their only on base guys.

We don’t know if Sisco will be an on base guy at the major league level.  If he proves he is with more reps, he’s gradually going to get more playing time.   

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

But in that scenario aren't you basically saying that you think Sisco will do better vs a RHP than Pedro? 

We hope that Sisco will be an Oriole for the next six years.  Pedro spent most of last year in AAA in his late 20s.  I think I'd be willing to give Sisco the ABs to speed along his development even if he might be slightly worse in the short term.

The one thing I would like to see is moving Schoop down in the order. I think he is pressing to drive in runs but the #3 is not working and he is really killing us. (He usually has reverse splits, by the way).

Mancini is making some hard outs but will come around. For everyone else, it is what it is. 

With rare exceptions, I don’t think that batters feel extra pressure based on where they bat in the order.    Schoop’s best OPS at any position in the order is at no. 3, by the way.   

My view is, if you are at bat with a runner on 3rd and nobody out, you’re not thinking about your spot in the order, you’re thinking about the specific situation.    It wouldn’t matter if you were batting 3rd or 7th.   If anything, there’s less pressure batting 3rd in that situation since you know there are good hitters behind you.  

With all that said, I might agree with Tony about moving Schoop down in the order while he’s cold, not to relieve pressure, but to create more opportunities for hitters who are not cold.    However, when most of the team is cold, I don’t see much utility in shuffling the deck based on short term trends. 

Archived