An Early Look at the 2019 Draft

Greg Pappas

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OregonBird said:

Having been to a lot of Oregon State baseball games over the past few years I am obviously a huge Rutschman fan.  Great player, great character and will be ready quickly.  Hard to go wrong with him.

I'm leaning this way. Still want to see how they look next Spring.

Fangraphs updated their 2019 draft board.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-mlb-draft?type=0&pos=all&team=all

Adley in 1st spot in a tier of his own.

Witt Jr is in the second tier along with 10 others. Some are COF or defensively challenged types who generally don’t go 1-1. 

I haven’t looked at the draft class enough yet to have strong opinions, but one guy I think they are quite low on is Josh Jung, I think he’s going to be a top 10 pick.

Other guys I’ve seen and am higher on are Wallner and Strumpf. 

Guys I’ve seen and am lower on are Toglia, Busch, and Stinson (although maybe if he’s creatively used, he might be worth mid-1st round, I don’t think he’s a starter though despite the super premium stuff).

Stott is just too boring to be ranked that high for me, but it’s probably pretty fair as he can really hit and play SS.

My biggest concern with catcher Adley is that he is such a clear cut #1 that he might not sign for an appropriate discount to allow us to save $1M or more for overslot signing just from this pick.  It's all a long way off, but that's my concern.

We do have a long way to go before the draft, but Adley has some clear separation from the other top candidates IMO.  It would really take a disappointing season from him and a surge from someone else to get into the discussion.  It would be difficult to pass on a polished, highly rated catcher if a TOR pitching candidate does not emerge.

9 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

My biggest concern with catcher Adley is that he is such a clear cut #1 that he might not sign for an appropriate discount to allow us to save $1M or more for overslot signing just from this pick.  It's all a long way off, but that's my concern.

We do have a long way to go before the draft, but Adley has some clear separation from the other top candidates IMO.  It would really take a disappointing season from him and a surge from someone else to get into the discussion.  It would be difficult to pass on a polished, highly rated catcher if a TOR pitching candidate does not emerge.

I'm all for saving money so you can spend it elsewhere but if he is a clear #1 I'm in favor of going with the most talented player. 

54 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Fangraphs updated their 2019 draft board.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-mlb-draft?type=0&pos=all&team=all

Adley in 1st spot in a tier of his own.

Witt Jr is in the second tier along with 10 others. Some are COF or defensively challenged types who generally don’t go 1-1. 

I haven’t looked at the draft class enough yet to have strong opinions, but one guy I think they are quite low on is Josh Jung, I think he’s going to be a top 10 pick.

Other guys I’ve seen and am higher on are Wallner and Strumpf. 

Guys I’ve seen and am lower on are Toglia, Busch, and Stinson (although maybe if he’s creatively used, he might be worth mid-1st round, I don’t think he’s a starter though despite the super premium stuff).

Stott is just too boring to be ranked that high for me, but it’s probably pretty fair as he can really hit and play SS.

Why is Witt JR ranked so low but is talked about so much as the possible 1:1?

24 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Why is Witt JR ranked so low but is talked about so much as the possible 1:1?

Fangraphs is probably the lowest on him, they are concerned about the bat to ball skills (aka a portion of the hit tool evaluation). He’s got huge upside though as a plus power, plus speed guy with plus glove at SS (according to their grades).

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two possibilities as I see it:

1- Fangraphs is wrong

2- His last name.

It just depends who you ask.    Fangraphs’ writers opinions aren’t the gospel.    I continue to think it’s a waste of time to worry about this until May of next year.    

Archived