Buck's comments on young pitchers and radar

Ohfan67

From Roch:

* Showalter understands why fans like having the pitchers’ radar readings posted in the ballpark, but he’d be fine with eliminating them. The readings, not the fans. Showalter talked about one of his young pitchers who checks the board in front of the third deck in left field after every pitch. “As much as we try to get him not to, but that’s kind of the world we live in,” Showalter said. “Some of these young players, ‘How did I throw today? Well, let me look at the gun.’ Instead of, ‘Where did I throw it?’ That’s why Yac (Jimmy Yacabonis) and (Yefry) Ramírez were good (Saturday). They had pretty good command.”

Do you think he was talking about Wright? 

Gotta imagine it was Carroll or maybe Scott. Carroll's command has been downright awful. Not sure if it's one of those major league yips thing that he will get over, but no way he would have been successful in AAA with the way he's thrown the ball here.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Gotta imagine it was Carroll or maybe Scott. Carroll's command has been downright awful. Not sure if it's one of those major league yips thing that he will get over, but no way he would have been successful in AAA with the way he's thrown the ball here.

I think he's pressing honestly. He looks tight on the mound to me. He's probably squeezing the ball really hard lol.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I've watched a lot of tape on him. His command has never been as bad as it has been. I suspect these are the growing pains we'll see with our young relievers.

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

From Roch:

* Showalter understands why fans like having the pitchers’ radar readings posted in the ballpark, but he’d be fine with eliminating them. The readings, not the fans. Showalter talked about one of his young pitchers who checks the board in front of the third deck in left field after every pitch. “As much as we try to get him not to, but that’s kind of the world we live in,” Showalter said. “Some of these young players, ‘How did I throw today? Well, let me look at the gun.’ Instead of, ‘Where did I throw it?’ That’s why Yac (Jimmy Yacabonis) and (Yefry) Ramírez were good (Saturday). They had pretty good command.”

Do you think he was talking about Wright? 

He didn't necessarily say it was someone other than Yac or Ramirez. It's possible those two were previously concerned with the radar, but just not on Saturday. 

Archived