Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It seems unlikely that someone who's about to turn 26 and has a career minor league OPS of .642 is developing into a solid major league hitter.  

True, it does seem unlikely, however, he's always been a guy with tools with the bat who wasn't able to put it together (according to a scout I know who has watch him most of his career). His statcast numbers are not bad overall offensively and solid average defensively.

I'm ok with splitting the time with Sisco to see how Sisco plays, but I'm hoping Severino is not Bucked (relegated to playing one a week until the other catcher feels apart from overuse).

I will say this, if Sisco struggles defensively again, I'd consider sending him back and converting him 3B or 2B and see how he does.

Saying all that, I think Sisco earned another chance so now it will be up to him to perform at the big league level. BTW, I'd also like to see if Nunez's arm is better and give him another chance at 3B allowing Sisco to DH some.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, it does seem unlikely, however, he's always been a guy with tools with the bat who wasn't able to put it together (according to a scout I know who has watch him most of his career). His statcast numbers are not bad overall offensively and solid average defensively.

I'm ok with splitting the time with Sisco to see how Sisco plays, but I'm hoping Severino is not Bucked (relegated to playing one a week until the other catcher feels apart from overuse).

I will say this, if Sisco struggles defensively again, I'd consider sending him back and converting him 3B or 2B and see how he does.

Saying all that, I think Sisco earned another chance so now it will be up to him to perform at the big league level. BTW, I'd also like to see if Nunez's arm is better and give him another chance at 3B allowing Sisco to DH some.

I’ve been advocating trying him out 3B based on his background playing the infield. You really think he has any chance at playing 2B with his speed?  He’s not just a below average runner.  Has bottom level foot speed according to Statcast. 

55 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I’ve been advocating trying him out 3B based on his background playing the infield. You really think he has any chance at playing 2B with his speed?  He’s not just a below average runner.  Has bottom level foot speed according to Statcast. 

No, my first impression would be that he would not have quick enough feet to play 2B. Saying that, I'd be willing to see how he looks at 3B and 2B to see if there is any chance.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

You're kind of just a jokes-first poster these days huh? 

I reply in the matter that I think is appropriate.  Joey took a shot at me because I took a shot at his boy.  He got a (hopefully) glib reply in response.

I am on record as stating that Sisco's offense wasn't acceptable last year and that I am unsure of where he is going forward.  Joey knows that is my position.  The two of us have discussed the O's young catchers at length via PM.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I reply in the matter that I think is appropriate.  Joey took a shot at me because I took a shot at his boy.  He got a (hopefully) glib reply in response.

I am on record as stating that Sisco's offense wasn't acceptable last year and that I am unsure of where he is going forward.  Joey knows that is my position.  The two of us have discussed the O's young catchers at length via PM.

I'm just curious what this site wants as an acceptable batting average. Seems like if anyone is hitting under .300, they need to be DFA'ed or sent down.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm just curious what this site wants as an acceptable batting average. Seems like if anyone is hitting under .300, they need to be DFA'ed or sent down.

Speaking for myself, I don’t look much at batting average.   Take Wynns for example.   .233 BA isn’t necessarily terrible for a backup C, but a .283 OBP/.256 SLG is definitely terrible.    That said, I was surprised to see Wynns sent down based on 47 plate appearances.    I thought they’d give him another month.   

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Speaking for myself, I don’t look much at batting average.   Take Wynns for example.   .233 BA isn’t necessarily terrible for a backup C, but a .283 OBP/.256 SLG is definitely terrible.    That said, I was surprised to see Wynns sent down based on 47 plate appearances.    I thought they’d give him another month.   

I agree on the extra month, based on missing (most of) Spring Training due to injury and only getting a weekish of rehab games. I believe he had a hit in 8 of his last 10 games too.

For the record, I'm not exactly upset he went to Norfolk in favor of Sisco, who is blasting the ball, but I'm disappointed in the timing (figured he would come up in July when the roster gets a bit more cleared out from trades and disappointed he didn't have a better showing on defense. I just think he was a bit rushed back and now Sisco is coming up with a red hot Severino.

49 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I agree on the extra month, based on missing (most of) Spring Training due to injury and only getting a weekish of rehab games. I believe he had a hit in 8 of his last 10 games too.

For the record, I'm not exactly upset he went to Norfolk in favor of Sisco, who is blasting the ball, but I'm disappointed in the timing (figured he would come up in July when the roster gets a bit more cleared out from trades and disappointed he didn't have a better showing on defense. I just think he was a bit rushed back and now Sisco is coming up with a red hot Severino.

It may do Wynns some good to get more regular reps at Norfolk.   I expect he’ll get more chances in Baltimore.   

• Upvote 1