Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Really,  Elias doesn't talk to  players?  He was a scouting director.  He talks to everyone.

He's not going to be asking a lot of opinions. That's for sure. He'll talk with them, when they are being signed. 

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many organizations have you been in where the senior management has long talks about process with line workers?

Doesn't have to be a long talk.   Do you think MacPhail or Duquette never talked to their players?  Buck talked to them all the time.   Maybe Elias does not talk to them directly.  Maybe he has Brady or Graham does it.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Does have to be a long talk.   Do you think MacPhail or Duquette never talked to their players?  Buck talked to them all the time.   Maybe Elias does not talk to them directly.  Maybe he has Brady or Graham does it.

Buck would be middle management in this instance.

I don't think Andy or Dan made a habit of having sitdowns with multiple players.

Conversations in passing?  Sure.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Does have to be a long talk.   Do you think MacPhail or Duquette never talked to their players?  Buck talked to them all the time.   Maybe Elias does not talk to them directly.  Maybe he has Brady or Graham does it.

Andy and Duquette rarely did. From what I heard. Buck was their Foreman. Are Brady and Graham with the team?

Question:  If Brady asks Cobb, Bundy, Cashner and Givens which catcher they likes pitching to the best and they all answer Caleb, does Elias non tender him?  Or does he keep Caleb on the team until July  so the pitchers can add value before Elias tries to trade some or all of them?

I ask this question here because it could directly effect where Sisco begins the season.

57 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

He looked completely overmatched at the plate. Considering his bat is his calling card I want to see him rake in Norfolk before I bring him up again.

He's been basically overmatched since AA. A high K rate with little power is a classic example of a guy who just doesn't have the bat speed to hit at the major league level.

Chance Sisco AAA Slash: .260/.341./391/.733, 12 HR, and a disturbing 50 BB-140 K (3.98 PA/K) ratio in 557 PAs. 
                         MAJ Slash: .197/.306/.320/.626,  2 HR, and a disturbing 16 BB-73 K (2.82 PA/K) ratio in 206 PAs.

Above AA, Sisco's best offensive attribute is his ability to get HBP. He's been hit 25 times which has kept his OBP respectable. If he was a good defensive catcher you might live with him as a backup to a good right-handed hitting catcher since he'll walk a little bit, but he's well belows average dfenively regardless of what his DWAR suggests. He's not a good game caller (though he wasn't Matt Wieters bad) and once the slow guys stopped running on him, he couldn't throw anyone out.

If he was eligible, he would not have been in my top 30 prospects anymore. Unfortunately, he's been exposed at the highest levels and has been found to be lacking. He's actually a good case for me to evaluate bat speed better.

I didn't see him a ton in the minors and I did have some scouts tell me they weren't excited over his bat speed, but I let his numbers speak more than the scouts. I once had a scout tell me after his first year in Delmarva that he was Steve Clevenger.

Stats Normalized over 162 games

Steve Clevenger - .227/.284/.324/.608 29 2B, 4 HR, 35 BB, 86K in 497 PAs
Chance Sisco     - .197/.306/.320/.626  10 2B, 9 HR, 36 BB, 162K in 457 PAs, 27 HBP... Take away the 26 HBP and Sisco's normalized OBP is .242.

So while I understand the thought that the Orioles should give young players a chance, the Orioles need to also evaluate the current group and decide which ones are failed prospects and not waste time. 

Now saying all that, if Elias has some miracle cure with analytics that can help Sisco (I doubt it can fix his lack of bat speed) then be my guest, give him some more PAs, but as I showed in a post last year, if Sisco ends up a productive major league hitters he will be the first one to ever start off his career with that strikeout rate and lack of power.

Honestly, it makes some sense in my mind to keep a veteran catcher around to help evaluate the young pitchers but if the Orioles want to go in another direction than Joseph, it's understandable after the year he just had. Me personally, I'd rather have Joseph behind the plate than Sisco with a young staff. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1